Carb Setting On IH 400 (McCormick)

/ Carb Setting On IH 400 (McCormick) #11  
BobG_in_VA said:
Did you ever figure out what tractor you have??? I noted the 400 Farmall, but I didn't notice what your response was....Dumb question: Do you note that there are more than one fuel tanks on your tractor???That carb kinda sounds like a "distillate" carb to me......BobG in VA

Mornin Bob,
He PMed me and told me that the tractor pic I posted was what he had ! I believe he is still working on it Bob.

/ Carb Setting On IH 400 (McCormick)
The tractor I have is exactly like the one pictured, color and everything, right down to the front end loader.(the reason I bought it in the first place) I've only found one fuel tank on this beast, it does have a new radiator , hoses and belts ! The carb looks like what was on pre 30's cars and was called an updraft type. Should work better as a downdraft but I don't feel like making a new manifold for it. Gas tank currently off, been cleaned, treated and a new epoxy liner has been applied. Waiting 24 hrs to dry. Let you know of progress after Memorial Day. I have a convention of Army Buddies to attend. Sadly, its getting smaller every year but that's life .

/ Carb Setting On IH 400 (McCormick) #13  
junqueyardman said:
..... Gas tank currently off, been cleaned, treated and a new epoxy liner has been applied. Waiting 24 hrs to dry. Let you know of progress after Memorial Day. I have a convention of Army Buddies to attend. Sadly, its getting smaller every year but that's life .

Good on ya! Updraft is not a "detractor" (pun) for this type engine. Once tuned correctly will only take a half rotation of the crank to have it running, and running with authority...You ain't gonna believe how much HP you have at your disposal for an engine that only turns over at about 1650rpm....On this Memorial Day weekend, we thank you for your service and remember all those that gave the ultimate sacrifice so we can sit here and do this type of stuff. Thanks again...BobG in VA

/ Carb Setting On IH 400 (McCormick) #14  
On most all carbs I start out with the screws one and one half turns out and then I fine tune them.

/ Carb Setting On IH 400 (McCormick) #15  
I have a 450 did same thing float was stuck. Disassembled the carb, cleaned it up, blew it out with air fired right up

/ Carb Setting On IH 400 (McCormick) #16  
Did you ever figure out what tractor you have??? I noted the 400 Farmall, but I didn't notice what your response was....Dumb question: Do you note that there are more than one fuel tanks on your tractor???That carb kinda sounds like a "distillate" carb to me......BobG in VA
unless the carb is from an other tractor the 400 was never a distilate burner.the only way to really know if the problem is carb related is to take it off & give it a cleaning. the jet on the bottom is just a holder for the main jet that can only be removed when the carb is apart. you will no doubt find lots of crud . you will have to clean the tank for sure. hope this helps .