Carbon monoxide

/ Carbon monoxide #1  

nap61

Silver Member
There has been a number of reports of problems with carbon monoxide seeping into homes during/after hurricane Ida from whole house generators in the New Orleans area. It seems that the CO entered the homes through the soffits. This occurred even though this units were installed according to code. The units in the reports looked to have been installed in alleyways or between houses or behind wooden fences and gates. The houses seemed to be single story in that area.

I have a WHG install next to my attached garage. It is 5 feet from any door or window - according to code. I have a room above the garage and the soffit is about 10 feet above ground level and there is nothing but acreage opposit the garage wall.

I did get CO detector and put it in the room above the garage and plan to get others for the rest of the house. CO is a problem only if the WHG is running for an extended period of time. From what I have read, CO is only slightly lighter than air and may or may not rise.

I don't think I have a problem but I would appreciate any comments from anyone with experience with CO and/or CO detectors.

Norman

/ Carbon monoxide #2  
I think in your situation you'll be fine. With WHG's in an alley the exhaust gases filled up the corridor and I'm not surprised there was incursion, but you've got open space and a possible breeze at some point, plenty of area for dispersion.

/ Carbon monoxide #3  
You should have plenty of room for the exhaust to disperse but a detector is cheap and good to have anyway. Building code requires them if you have anything other then electric heat and appliances.

/ Carbon monoxide #4  
I would go along with putting CO detectors in the rest of the house. Also keep in mind, they have an end of life of from 5-10 years (depending on model). It should be plainly marked on the individual detector what it's month and year of expiration is.

CO is not something to trifle with. Way, way more dangerous than house fires or gas leaks.