careful about what you pack in your trunk!

/ careful about what you pack in your trunk! #21  
Reasonable but hard to comply with if you don't have an open truck or trailer. Garages are also confined spaces. I transport my oxyfuel set up in an SUV, not much choice, and in the winter it is isn't pleasant to leave windows cracked.

Seems easy to comply with to me. If you don't have a truck or trailer, don't transport it. Garages and other spaces where such things are expected to be stored or used are required by code to have certain minimum ventilation air changes per hour, although I am sure there are thousands out there that predate such codes.

xtn

/ careful about what you pack in your trunk! #22  
Reasonable but hard to comply with if you don't have an open truck or trailer. Garages are also confined spaces. I transport my oxyfuel set up in an SUV, not much choice, and in the winter it is isn't pleasant to leave windows cracked.

Seems easy to comply with to me. If you don't have a truck or trailer, don't transport it. Garages and other spaces where such things are expected to be stored or used are required by code to have certain minimum ventilation air changes per hour, although I am sure there are thousands out there that predate such codes.

xtn

/ careful about what you pack in your trunk!
this double posting is driving us all nuts. I've delighted a dozen in the last week.

/ careful about what you pack in your trunk! #24  
Local welding shops won't sell you gases if you are in a car, you must be in a truck or have a trailer. I am assuming it is some type of law. ???

Is this just in Florida? Our local shop has never given a second glance to my picking up the small tanks in my little SUV or Honda Accord.

/ careful about what you pack in your trunk! #25  
Is this just in Florida? Our local shop has never given a second glance to my picking up the small tanks in my little SUV or Honda Accord.

Same here in MA. I've always worried about putting acetylene tanks on their side for transport but I gather the important part is to let them stand upright for a good while (?hours) before using them after being horizontal.

/ careful about what you pack in your trunk! #26  

xtn

I don't disagree with the theory behind your post but in practice people violate this daily. Plumbers often drive vans rather than pickups but still carry acetylene. I also know of no code that requires a home garage to have minimum ventilation changes per hour. Many or most home garages don't even have a ventilation system at all yet a fair number of us keep a B acetylene tank setup for oxyfuel welding etc.

/ careful about what you pack in your trunk! #27  
I have personal experience about a power of flying Hydrogen tank. I used to have second job helping install large batteries for in example telephone switches. When the lead plates were placed in the cells the cells were connected together by lead bridges welded by hydrogen torch. One time we were moving our equipment from one battery room to another and asked local guys to give us a hand to carry our stuff. The boss told them to put caps on the bottles but one of the guys just stuffed the cap in his pocket saying that it easier to carry the bottle holding the valve. When crossing a railroad one of the guys tripped and they dropped tho bottle. The valve hit the rail and broke off. The bottle flew like a rocket entering a mechanical shop through a brick wall, hitting a metal bench inside and pushing it through the wall on the opposite side of the shop out. There was about a foot in diameter hole one side and about a single car garage size hole on the other side of the building.

/ careful about what you pack in your trunk!
I have personal experience about a power of flying Hydrogen tank. I used to have second job helping install large batteries for in example telephone switches. When the lead plates were placed in the cells the cells were connected together by lead bridges welded by hydrogen torch. One time we were moving our equipment from one battery room to another and asked local guys to give us a hand to carry our stuff. The boss told them to put caps on the bottles but one of the guys just stuffed the cap in his pocket saying that it easier to carry the bottle holding the valve. When crossing a railroad one of the guys tripped and they dropped tho bottle. The valve hit the rail and broke off. The bottle flew like a rocket entering a mechanical shop through a brick wall, hitting a metal bench inside and pushing it through the wall on the opposite side of the shop out. There was about a foot in diameter hole one side and about a single car garage size hole on the other side of the building.

now that's a serious entry and exit wound...
There are some safety things you just can't skimp with. Or life can get way too exciting way too quickly.

/ careful about what you pack in your trunk! #29  
daugen said:
this double posting is driving us all nuts. I've delighted a dozen in the last week.

like 'em that much do you?