Carpenters-Need info on OSB

/ Carpenters-Need info on OSB #11  
In my area 7/16 is pretty much standard for walls and roofs.
Use clips on the roof (as others have said)
And obviously you want to stagger the joints, and lay across the trusses longways, not parralell.
On walls run osb parralell with the studs.

/ Carpenters-Need info on OSB #12  
Since your question was what's the most common size used, I would think the answer would have to be 1/2" across the board, (no pun) for any type of sheathing.

Personally I will not use "Glued Gerbil Chewings" GGC, AKA OSB, for any application, never bought a sheet in my life. Don't do new work so my opinion is probably based on some ignorant old fashioned way of thinking, that doesn't allow me accept that things change :)

For me, on roof applications I would go with 5/8 or even 3/4.

JB.

/ Carpenters-Need info on OSB #13  
For me, on roof applications I would go with 5/8 or even 3/4.

JB.

JB, you'd have some serious bucks, as in 2x to 3x cost over run on that deal, and you'd have to have to mighty muscular dudes humping that stuff up there. For youself? Do whatever you wallet allows. For the trades? Nobody would ever pay us for that. Just sayin'.

/ Carpenters-Need info on OSB #14  
JB, you'd have some serious bucks, as in 2x to 3x cost over run on that deal, and you'd have to have to mighty muscular dudes humping that stuff up there. For youself? Do whatever you wallet allows. For the trades? Nobody would ever pay us for that. Just sayin'.

Yeah the 3/4 inch is probably way over kill, unless we're talking rafters wider than 16 o/c or slate roof, or even some flat roof apps..
The old slate roofs I work on have 12" rafter spacing and 3/4 " decking.

But the difference between 1/2" and 5/8" can't be 2X even with added labor?

All my use of ply wood is for my own projects, so yes I will spend a couple bucks more a sheet. This pic is of my biggest decking (redeck) project ever. 3,000 sq ft flat roof, 18 ft high ceiling. It was my own shop, so I used 5/8, since carpentry is not my strong suit I did struggle with it. Afterwards I actually thought to myself maybe I should of gone with 3/4", not necessary I'm sure.

Attachments

• P4270466.JPG
    P4270466.JPG
    362.9 KB · Views: 190
   / Carpenters-Need info on OSB #15  
If we are sheating directly over rafters we use 1/2" plywood with clips. I will never use OSB on a roof unless its going onto the old roof boards. So many roofs around here get ice backing up under the shingles and we get called in to repair them and the OSB is usually shot from the ice/water sitting between the wood and asphalt shingles/felt paper. The plywood roofs will take a lot more water abuse then OSB.

OSB will work but does sag on 24" centers here. I just am not a fan of OSB and will only use it if there is a solid deck under it on a roof. If you insist on using it directly on rafters go with 5/8's with clips minimum.

/ Carpenters-Need info on OSB #16  
Everyone's supplier will have different numbers. No doubt.
Here's what I pay for OSB. We have a Weyerhauser plant 2 miles from my house.

7/16 $4.99
1/2 $6.99
5/8 $10.49
3/4 $12.99

Yes, labor costs do rise, minimally on each step up. Go up two steps, and yes, labor goes up. Swinging 7/16 is a one man job. Swing 3/4 and you can hurt yourself by day's end. Hey, it's what the homeowner wants. If they don't specify, they get 1/2" with clips.

OSB is fine if you never, ever have a leak.
Yeah, like that's gonna happen. :D:D

But plywood de-laminates too, remember. We also have a 100% Ice Guard (ice shield) code here, not just the first 2'

/ Carpenters-Need info on OSB
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I am adding a room on to my son's house and I am doing all the walls but I'm having a local contractor do the roof.

He told me all they use is 7/16 osb for the walls and roof when put on 16" centers, but this seemed a little thin to me to properly hold nails for the vinyl siding and the sealtab so I wanted to see what others mainly used.

I have decided to go with 1/2" osb (actually 15/32) on the walls and roof. Home Depot sells the 7/16 and the 1/2 for the same price but the 1/2 has a higher rating. If my rafters were further than 16" apart I would have used 5/8.
Even with 16" centers I will use H-clips on the roof.

Here in South Louisiana we do not have to worry about ice or snow, just a lot of rain.

After a bad experience with particleboard about 30 years ago, I hesitated on using anything other than plywood for years but I am now convinced that modern osb is superior to plywood in many ways, especially the low grade of plywood that is normally sold here for sheathing that is usually warped and full of splits and knots.

/ Carpenters-Need info on OSB #18  
Even if the whole wall is sheeted with osb one should still try to hit the studs when they install vinyl siding, so the sheeting wouldn't really matter.
Also most new construction around here uses osb only on the corners of the exterior walls (for bracing) and cylotex in between the osb. Clyotex (unsure of spelling) is just foam board in 4x8x1/2'' sheets and has very little strength.
Another tid bit, most floor joists these days are just 10" or so of 7/16" osb with 2x3 (I think) caps on each side. These "engineered" floor joists are stronger and straighter than a typical pine 2x12 floor joist.

/ Carpenters-Need info on OSB #19  
7/16 will require clips when used on 24 centered trusses and still, you will get a certain amount of rippling or definition. 1/2 just seems to minimize a lot of that appearance. Still 24 truss or rafter centers should still be clipped, even with 1/2. These also act as spacers, as OSB has a certain amount of expansion and contraction.

7/16 for wall sheeting, unless otherwise specified by code in your area, and yes, sometimes local codes exceed generally accepted national codes, for ME, would be plenty good.

BP nailed it right here.

/ Carpenters-Need info on OSB #20  
On the discussion on sized materials and what to use, as opposed to the original question of what is the most common size uzed, then there are some good points, and some that I feel are misleading.

For walls, the requirement for sheeting is to prevent racking and creat shear strength. Stud walls will just lay over if there isn't any diagnal bracing. For centuries, this was done by cutting boards into the corner studs at an angle to provide this bracing. It's worked for a very long time at keeping a house stiff and standing. Then when plywood became available, it was used in just the corners of homes. Half inch was the standard. In some homes, that was all that was used, but other homes, foam or the black, crappy, paper like stuff was used. I forget what it's called, but you can still buy it. I just don't see it used anymore.

Now it's pretty much common building practice to wrap the entire exterior walls with OSB. Oriented Stand Board. It is nothing like particle board or MDF. It is very strong. Is it stronger then plywood? I honestly don't know. CDX plywood is what we used to use on roofs in CA all the time, but then switched to OSB. With the way code is there, and how ever change is dont to make the houses stronger and better to withstand earthquakes, I figured OSB was stronger then plywood. I never looked into it, and don't have any facts to say either way. I use it, and I'm very pleased with the results.

Half inch plywood is actually 15/32 thick and 7/16 OSB is 14/32 thick. The difference is minimal in comparing thickness. The plywood is made of three layers of wood, glued together in oposing directions. Three very weak peices of material glued together to make one strong materil. The direction of the grain and the glue are what make plywood strong. 4/5 will have a fourth layer of wood, and 3/4 will have five layers. The layers are where you get all your strength.

The glue and strands of wood in OSB is what makes it so strong. I've seen allot of half inch plywood fail for a variety of reason. Mostly a layer will come off, but it will also snap when too much weight is on it. I've seen OSB fail after its' been wet for awhile. Mostly, the ends expand and the nails don't hold in those locations anymore.

If kept dry, both are pretty much equal in strength.

For roofing, one of the important things to consider is how well the material holds a nail. For this, I also don't think it matters too much what you use. What is VERY important is that you use nails long enough for the shaft to penetrate the material. The point must be out of hte wood with some of the shaft showing. This is the only way that the nail are able to stay in the wood and have any holding power. I've seen too many roof overs and even new roofs where short, one inch nails were used, and they didn't penetrate the wood all the way. They just pop out real easy. If you are losing shingles, that's a good thing to look for.

For those who claim that OSB leave ripples in a roof, I disagree. If the rafters or trusses are perfectly flat and aligned, then you'll never know what was used on the roof for sheething. With H clips, OSB will be impossible to distinguish between half in plywood. While I agree that thicker wood is stronger, and will support a heavier load, you will still have waves or riples in the roof if the wood that you attach it to isn't perfectly true.

Since it's actually fairly common for their to be some minor variations in the wood used and trusses that are bought, the best solusiton is to use premium, architectual shingles. This will hid any imperfections in the lumber. Three tab shingles are the least expensive to buy,but they show every dimple or high spot on a roof.

For example, I'm building a deck right now, and I've seeing a consistant 1/8 variation in the width of my lumber that's bigger then 2x6's. Lengths are all over the place too, some are dead on, others are up to 3/4 of an inch longer then the others. I've had some 2x10's that were 3/8 wider then the thinnest ones. It got so bad that I had to rip a 2/8 down to size so I could use it.

This happens in roofs,but usualy it's the angle or curve of the board that I see more then anything. If you take care, and check every board, then it's not an issue. If you have a crew of 20 somethings trying to get it done so they can do whatever it is that's more important to them, sometimes a board ends up on the roof that you wouldn't really want up there. You don't even see it unless you're looking for it, or after it's been decked. There are some very big, very expensive homes that I've seen shims used between the decking and the rafters. If you're not looking for it, or trying to figure out what's wrong with the roofing system, you'll never know it's there.

What's really sad is that how a house is built, and what is used to build that house doesn't have anything to do with selling that house. It's all about the finish and what materials are used, depending on the latest trends. I worked on a house a few months ago that has allot of issues. They painted the cabinets, put in new tile floors and a granite counter top. At first, it looks nice, but the granite used wasn't of a very good quality and every time I was in that house, I noticed more things about it that I didn't like. That house sold in two months time for the full asking price. It was very nice looking at first glance, but the house itself was a money pit in my opinion.

There's a dozen ways to do the same thing, but most of the time, only one that is cost effective. The question will always be what is the best way to build for the least amount of money.

Eddie