carry and usage

/ carry and usage #1  

ch1ch2

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH 584, NH TC33DA, NH TN95A
I recently read lots of post on; do you carrying on a tractor.
Lots of us carry, anywhere and everywhere.
My question is when would you use it against a person?

I would use it to defend myself and my family. I question if I would use it to defend someone else. It for me would be a judgment call at the time. Hopefully, it would be one of those "if you expect trouble, walk away" and I would not be put in that situation.
If they do not believe in firearms or the need to carry firearms to protect themselves or their families, why do I need to put myself though the mental anguish, legal jeopardy, and financial issues, to protect them, especially if they are the possible gun haters?

I read those saying, you live in a bad neighborhood and you should move. Are they cowards to give up all they have, their family, friends property because they are cowards and afraid to fight for what is right? Or, should they fight to clean up their neighborhood.

I see lots of people from other states moving to Texas. I say please do not vote to make Texas like the state your running from. Vote to keep Texas great and to improve it like many of the other states with open carry and self defense laws.

Lots of questions. Not sure if I have answers.

/ carry and usage #2  
Yes, especially keep Texas as it is and has been for generations!

/ carry and usage #3  
You might want to consider CCW specific insurance. NRA just came out with their own brand, and there are other companies that offer it.

/ carry and usage #4  
I used to not carry on the tractor until one day a couple of years ago when I sure wished that I had my rifle with me. I was out sitting on the tractor watching some brush I had rounded up burn to make sure it didn't spread when a very nice looking bobcat come out of the woods and slowly walk down a ways before disappearing back into the woods. If I had had my rifle at that time I would have a very beautiful, mounted bobcat now.

/ carry and usage #5  
Question: Is or isn't a gun like any other tool?

Do you carry a chain saw everywhere you go?
"You never know" when you might need one. You could be in a bad neighborhood with poorly maintained trees and one falls down blocking your path, or a tree has your wife and kids trapped in a car.
I'm being facetious of course, but so often I hear the argument that one should carry because "hey, you never know, the possibility I might need it is not zero, therefore I carry"
But why doesn't this logic apply to other tools?
Do you take tow chains everywhere you go? Cutting torches? Pry bars? Chain saws? Fire extinguishers? Bandages? Epi pens? Insulin? Scuba tanks in case you or someone else drives into the water? Defibrillator? You should, "cause it just may save a life. Hey you never know, better to be prepared!"

There have been many, many more times in my life where I've needed tow chains versus needing a gun. Maybe it's just my neighborhood, other's may differ.

Do people weigh the risk logically, statistically or is there something else about a gun?

Don't get me wrong, I carry a gun when I think I might need one. I rarely think I might need one.
(Same is true for all the other tools I mentioned. Carrying everything one might need is a burden.)

/ carry and usage #6  
Question: Is or isn't a gun like any other tool?

Do you carry a chain saw everywhere you go?
"You never know" when you might need one. You could be in a bad neighborhood with poorly maintained trees and one falls down blocking your path, or a tree has your wife and kids trapped in a car.
I'm being facetious of course, but so often I hear the argument that one should carry because "hey, you never know, the possibility I might need it is not zero, therefore I carry"
But why doesn't this logic apply to other tools?
Do you take tow chains everywhere you go? Cutting torches? Pry bars? Chain saws? Fire extinguishers? Bandages? Epi pens? Insulin? Scuba tanks in case you or someone else drives into the water? Defibrillator? You should, "cause it just may save a life. Hey you never know, better to be prepared!"

There have been many, many more times in my life where I've needed tow chains versus needing a gun. Maybe it's just my neighborhood, other's may differ.

Do people weigh the risk logically, statistically or is there something else about a gun?

Don't get me wrong, I carry a gun when I think I might need one. I rarely think I might need one.
(Same is true for all the other tools I mentioned. Carrying everything one might need is a burden.)

It's not like any other tool. When a tree falls, I can go get the saw and the tree will still be there. If a dog decides to bite me, I can't say wait there so I can go get my gun. I will have teeth marks in my but if I do that.

/ carry and usage #7  
Yep. Since I paid off my loan, I only have fire insurance on my home the two weeks per year when I think I might need it.

/ carry and usage #8  
I do not carry while on the tractor. Most of my usage is on the front part of the property where the house is, and we have no issues with wild animals there. The pasture, however, is another story. I have not been carrying when mowing back there, but I have considered it. Haven't had any problems out there yet, but it couldn't hurt to be more prepared.

Not going to get into the politics of states and defense laws, but it's a pretty well-known fact that shooting someone will undoubtedly cause you a world of misery. Make sure it's worth it.

/ carry and usage
I once read a paper written by a doctor stating that people who do not want others to carry guns, have good self defined reasons for it.
If they think someone carrying a gun will shot someone, it is because they themselves believe they would shot someone if they had a gun.
If they think someone with a gun might shoot them, it is because they think of themselves as bad to others to the point they will get shot.
They do not want others carrying guns because of their own personal issues, and they believe others will act like they do.

/ carry and usage #10  
...... it's a pretty well-known fact that shooting someone will undoubtedly cause you a world of misery. Make sure it's worth it.

Actually, I don't think this point is emphasized enough in these discussions.
I'll bet 99.9% of folks that love to talk about defending their stuff have never shot another person.
But if the do, they will have to live with it AND answer for it.

Not to mention the pissed off relatives after your head forever......
Make sure it's worth it!