Carted V rake for small hay operation

/ Carted V rake for small hay operation #1  

shanehobson

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 3000 (x2), Kubota F1900, Kubota B2150HST, IH434, Same Minitauro 60, Zetor 6745 (x2)
I make around 1000 small, square hay bales every year for myself and others. Those 1000 bales are scattered across numerous properties, some as big as 10 acres (I can hear the chuckles already), down to 1/2 acre.
I currently use a 3PL Kuhn GA300 single rotary rake to row up for my Welger AP71 baler.
Most of the time I find myself going around the paddock 2 or 4 times with the rake to form a single large row to feed the baler properly. It's very rare that I would feed the baler with a single row from my rake.
As a minimum I'd be going around twice (once in each direction) to form a single row.
I also like the Kuhn being on 3PL because I can lift it up over the rows. I run the Kuhn behind my International 434 (2WD, 40HP) but have just bought a Ford 3000 that will also be used.

I've been offered a 10 wheel carted V rake for $US2000 and was thinking this might save on raking time. The wheels can be lifted hydraulically from the tractor seat so I can still get over the rows without messing them up. My thinking is to use the V rake for lighter crops in big paddocks and keep the Kuhn for smaller paddocks.

I make hay across a range of properties that have a variety of grass types and weights. Within a single day I could be raking heavy crops in small paddocks (good for the Kuhn) or light crops in bigger paddocks (probably good for the V rake).

Any thoughts from the audience please ?

Attachments

• Reese V rake.jpg
    Reese V rake.jpg
    874.2 KB · Views: 3,711
   / Carted V rake for small hay operation #2  
There are only two issues I hear about around here regarding V rakes. One, a lot of our fields are small, similar to yours. Sometimes they can be tricky to use in small fields, but being able to lift over the rows helps a lot. The only other thing would be that most make windrows more suited for round balers than small square balers. But it sounds like your baler needs a heavy row, so that’s probably perfect for you. It will certainly cut your raking time significantly.
It depends on the cylinder size, but there’s a chance the 3000 make not be able to raise the V rake. It’s unlikely, but I do have a baler that I can’t operate with my 3000 for that reason. It can only raise the gate about half way.

/ Carted V rake for small hay operation #3  
Make sure to try it before buying it. They all look very similar but I assure you that they are not. My Kuhn SR110 Gii is an amazing machine, but another carted wheel rake that I tried before it was a nightmare. I cannot explain it and my engineer buddy could only notice subtle effective differences in design - I guess they made a big difference nevertheless. I have a Massey 265 and I remember it having trouble lifting the first one for some reason (may have been a problem with the rake too). It lifts the Kuhn effortlessly. I have raked with the Kuhn in small fields and have had no trouble, but mine is only a 10-wheel, a 12-wheel might be different.

/ Carted V rake for small hay operation #4  
I have raked with the Kuhn in small fields and have had no trouble, but mine is only a 10-wheel, a 12-wheel might be different.

I rake small fields with my H&S Hi-cap 14 wheel similar to rake in photo with no problems.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    198.2 KB · Views: 782
   / Carted V rake for small hay operation #5  
I agree on the try before you buy with that machine. Also I'd have a tutorial as part of the sale. No sense in your having to reinvent the wheel then the PO already did that. BTDT Agree on the lighter crops. If like TX Jims you can adjust the width for the size windrow your baler can take. My experience with square balers is that you can have as much ww as with a rounder unless you are talking about one of the super wide Magnums with a whale's mouth. Grin. More ww, closer bales, less wear and tear on everything.

/ Carted V rake for small hay operation #6  
What size gates are you running through and will it folds to clear. Also from the picture it appear it has a bet arm, but it could be the photo

/ Carted V rake for small hay operation #7  
If you are in thin hay will the V rake make a big enough windrow for your baler? If you are making 4 passes with your Kuhn rake that would be more ground than a single pass with the v rake.

/ Carted V rake for small hay operation #8  
I have a Bush Hog carted 10 wheel rake and it has hydraulic cylinders to fold the rake up. I use it in 20 acre hayfields and it has worked well for me ahead of our New Holland 688 round. baler.

/ Carted V rake for small hay operation
Someone else ended up buying the V rake shown in the photo before I could get to it.
V rakes are very rare around here, I live in dairy farming country where the dairy farmers make big, round silage bales so the contractors use big, twin rotor rakes. (Too expensive, too big for me).

Anyway, popped into the local tractor dealer a few days ago and they had a 3 year old Paddon (NZ made), 10 wheel, carted rake on the yard for $NZ5900 +tax.

I twisted their arm into including a Fahr KH40 4 rotor tedder (approx 4.8m wide) for free that they wanted $NZ1000 for. It had been sitting in their yard for a while, so were glad to be rid of it.

Anyway, I'm now the proud owner of a V rake and still have my Kuhn 3m, rotary rake. Hopefully I the V rake will work on all the paddocks I work in, but if not I've got the smaller Kuhn rake.

We're in the middle of winter here, so the next few months will be spent servicing the rake & tedder before putting them to work in December.

More info :
Rata Industries | Paddon RP Rakes

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 10.02.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 10.02.00 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 669
   / Carted V rake for small hay operation #10  
Congrats! I have not seen one like that before. Should be able to move a lot of hay.