Case 1030 Good deal or over my head?

/ Case 1030 Good deal or over my head? #1  

Greenrivercummins

Bronze Member
Tractor
Farmall C, Farmall super C, Farmall H, Farmall Super M, Farmall 560, Farmall 656, Farmall 706, Farmall 766, JI Case 311-B, Ford 871, Ford 4000, Ford 8000, Ford 8600
Howdy Folks,
So I just found this site hope ya'll may be of some help. I went to look at a 1030 Comfort King tractor. The tractor was not as the ad said but, it did have decent tire's, strong clutch, it ran really great. But the 3pt "Just got weaker and weaker now doesn't work" according to him, it need's all the tie rod's and bars mostly welded together. What i hope is only a head gasket leaking, fuel line leaking and a bad block crack repair he happened to forgot to tell me about. Along with randon weld's front to back. Am i looking at a money pit with what i can see is wrong with it let alone what lie's inside. He's asking $2200 obo Worth it or keep looking? I can't make up my mind. haha thanks in advanced!!

Last edited:
   / Case 1030 Good deal or over my head? #2  
Hey greenriver -

:welcome: to TBN. Lots of good info on here.

In answer to your question, I would not walk away, I would RUN away.

Good luck in your quest!

/ Case 1030 Good deal or over my head? #3  
Welcome!

I would run away too. If you want the tractor for doing work it will be a money pit. For restoration/parade purposes, it doesn't sound like a good candidate with all the welds.

A heavy old machine like that that's been welded on front to back and all its other issues must have been used and abused pretty danged hard.

/ Case 1030 Good deal or over my head? #4  
Welcome!

I would run away too. If you want the tractor for doing work it will be a money pit. For restoration/parade purposes, it doesn't sound like a good candidate with all the welds.

A heavy old machine like that that's been welded on front to back and all its other issues must have been used and abused pretty danged hard.

X2 plus all the welding tells me they made the cheapest repair possible and that was probably how maintenance was done as well. 1030's were good tough tractors but it sounds like this one was super abused.

/ Case 1030 Good deal or over my head? #5  
What the seller has is a parts tractor, what you want to find is a good old tractor. Hopefully one that doesn't need a parts tractor to go with it. Buying parts to put on an old tractor is money down the drain in most cases.

I would keep looking for something in better shape and expect it to cost quite a bit more.

/ Case 1030 Good deal or over my head?
Thanks all for the input i called the owner today and informed him i would not be buying the tractor. He wasn't to happy said that the tractor was worth $5,000 all day. And it could out last any other tractor doing field work. So i just said thanks for his time and left it at that so now i'm back on the hunt.

/ Case 1030 Good deal or over my head? #7  
For a big 100hp or so ag tractor in good running order around here you need 10,000 to 15,000 in your budget.
Keep an eye out for 4 post (open station) or cab John Deere from the 70's / early 80's. Like the 4230/4240, 4430/4440 etc.
Also lots of International 1066 or the later 1086 out there that are good tractors.

/ Case 1030 Good deal or over my head? #8  
I am a red guy but Case 970 or 1070 were good tractors too

/ Case 1030 Good deal or over my head? #9