Case 1825B Skid Steer Stalling Under Load

/ Case 1825B Skid Steer Stalling Under Load #1  

bigblock76

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2120, John Deere 3140, John Deere 2950, John Deere 7700 Combine, John Deere STX38
Hello Everyone,

I have acquired a 1825B with 1700 hours. A real nice and clean unit. However, recently (had it for about a year) when you are driving through thick mud or driving into a pile and working the boom at the same time, the engine will load up to the point that it will stall unless you let go of the controls. It is more so noticeable when its hot and been running for awhile.

You could be driving through thick mud and it will bring down the engine quite a bit as well. Is that normal?

I fully flushed out the system of hydraulic fluid when I picked it up last year. New filter, 10w30 oil and bought the HTO additive as well. New fuel filters and regular oil changes. No leaks anywhere. But it just doesn't seem right that I can stall the engine operating it because it bogs down under load when hot.

Any thoughts?

M

/ Case 1825B Skid Steer Stalling Under Load #2  
Fuel filter is the first thing that comes to mind.

/ Case 1825B Skid Steer Stalling Under Load #3  
I was thinking engine fuel system, filter up until your "when it get's hot" part of the post. Might be worth a try anyway. I know that there are certain combination's of operating, like moving, lowering & curling all at the same time that can really tax the engine when all done at once.

/ Case 1825B Skid Steer Stalling Under Load #4  
I agree with the others in that it sounds fuel related. When you say "the engine loads up"; are you describing over fueling, black smoke or lack of fuel? If there is a lift pump, I would check it's output at time of the problem. Another thing maybe the governor is sticking at higher temps? Are you running the machine at full throttle? Check the linkage to ensure you are getting full rack. Temps would not affect linkages but I would start with the obvious stuff. Another thing what is the water temperature? Maybe there is an overheating problem. Good luck.

SimS

/ Case 1825B Skid Steer Stalling Under Load
I never did end up getting to the bottom of this. One of those things that I've just lived with but should be addressed.

Yes, there is a lift pump, but it rather just happens quick if your not quick to ease off the controls. I've probably only put on 40 hours since I've changed the fuel filter. I could try and blow out the fuel line to ensure something isn't stuck in it.

When I'm working the machine and it beings to load up the engine before its about to stall, if I let go of all the controls, it recovers relatively quickly, but is also quick to bog down to the point that it will stall.

/ Case 1825B Skid Steer Stalling Under Load #6  
Does it have a metal fuel tank? I have a Case dozer and the mechanics there told me that the metal rusts on the inside of the tank, and collects at the bottom of the tank, then floats around as you are using it. The intake line for the tank is usually the low one, and the return line is always a bit higher. He said to disconnect the lines at the pump, blow air into them, and then switch them around. On some diesels there is a small screen filter similar in size to a thimble inside the fuel pump. It's at the bottom, where the glass bowl is. The glass bowl should be clear and you should be able to see the color of the fuel. It's red for me, but if you are not using farm diesel, it should be green. How many fuel filters do you have? I have two. One is a regular filter, the other is a water separator. Once I got mine all cleaned out, I cut the line and added a cheap, plastic, see through, Fram, inline gasoline fuel filter. I change them out after about 40 to 50 hours of operating time.

/ Case 1825B Skid Steer Stalling Under Load
The fuel tank is in the pillar / frame of the back of the skid steer. I'd have to see if there was a screen in front of the filter or not. You are thinking its starving for fuel as well it sounds?

I've noticed this as well, if I start it and let it run 1/3 throttle and start to drive the skid steer to maneuver it out of the shed, it bogs down and will die as well. Never used to do this before so its getting worse