/ Case 275 randomly stops moving. #1  

ScottLehew

Tractor
Case IH 275
Hey everyone,

I have a 1988 Case IH 275 compact tractor with a 3 speed transmission, and a 3 speed range transmission. Everything on it works great, except it will randomly stop moving while going in forward or reverse. After about 2-3 minutes of the tractor running, it will just stop moving as you are going. No change in rpm, does not matter what gear or range it is in it will just stop. It does not loose hydraulic power to the loader, or the hitch. If I shut the tractor off for about a minute or two, when I restart it it will go just fine...then stop again.

I have checked all the fluid levels and they're good. It does not feel like the clutch is slipping, and the tractor only has 1200 hours on it. Does the range transmission rely on hydraulic power? Could this be an o-ring or pressure relief relieving pressure? What should I check first?

Thank you all for the help!

/ Case 275 randomly stops moving. #2  
Hey, Welcome to TBN.

From what I can tell, that tractor has a dry clutch and a fully mechanical transmission, so hydraulics won't affect that.

Going by the symptoms you described, I say you have a bad clutch. For the short time it works, try press the brakes without pressing the clutch. It will most likely just stop as the extra load of the brakes will cause the clutch to slip.

/ Case 275 randomly stops moving.
Hey, Welcome to TBN.

From what I can tell, that tractor has a dry clutch and a fully mechanical transmission, so hydraulics won't affect that.

Going by the symptoms you described, I say you have a bad clutch. For the short time it works, try press the brakes without pressing the clutch. It will most likely just stop as the extra load of the brakes will cause the clutch to slip.
Thanks! I just tried the brake. The once I got going and moving, I can bring the tractor to a stop with it still it gear. The first time I did it, it bogged the tractor down and cut off. but after i got it out of the drive way and driving in the yard, it would stop without bogging down or cutting off.

/ Case 275 randomly stops moving. #4  
Thanks! I just tried the brake. The once I got going and moving, I can bring the tractor to a stop with it still it gear. The first time I did it, it bogged the tractor down and cut off. but after i got it out of the drive way and driving in the yard, it would stop without bogging down or cutting off.

What's a bit odd to me is that sometimes it works well for some time. Usually, when a clutch starts slipping, it's pretty much done. It's also a little bit too late to adjust the free play on the clutch pedal.

Maybe you could try to find the inspection hole for the clutch. It may have a cover that you need to remove and then it allows you to take a peak on the clutch. Maybe you can spot something obviously wrong or just a worn out clutch disc. Some tractors have this inspection hole, others don't, so I don't know for sure on yours.

/ Case 275 randomly stops moving.
What's a bit odd to me is that sometimes it works well for some time. Usually, when a clutch starts slipping, it's pretty much done. It's also a little bit too late to adjust the free play on the clutch pedal.

Maybe you could try to find the inspection hole for the clutch. It may have a cover that you need to remove and then it allows you to take a peak on the clutch. Maybe you can spot something obviously wrong or just a worn out clutch disc. Some tractors have this inspection hole, others don't, so I don't know for sure on yours.
I does not seem like it is the mechanical clutch. doing some more troubleshooting in the back yard just now, once the tractor stops, if I raise and lower the hitch arms enough, or engage/disengage the pto a few times the tractor will slowly start moving again and then lock into gear and be going fine. It seems like it could be somthing to do with the hydraulic pto clutch maybe?

/ Case 275 randomly stops moving. #6  
I does not seem like it is the mechanical clutch. doing some more troubleshooting in the back yard just now, once the tractor stops, if I raise and lower the hitch arms enough, or engage/disengage the pto a few times the tractor will slowly start moving again and then lock into gear and be going fine. It seems like it could be somthing to do with the hydraulic pto clutch maybe?
A PTO clutch is exactly that, a PTO clutch. That tractor has a wet clutch for the PTO, which does indeed run of the hydraulics only to engage/disengage.

The Case online parts catalogue only refers to a dry clutch on that tractor.

/ Case 275 randomly stops moving. #7  
Scott did you ever get this problem resolved?