Case 360 Trencher/Backhoe

/ Case 360 Trencher/Backhoe #1  

rtimgray

Veteran Member
My son and I have started working on a project at another farm that is going to require a considerable amount of trenching/ditch digging/shallow excavation. I've got a backhoe for my Kioti tractor and the farm is an easy driving distance from home (in fair weather). We did some water line installation about a month ago and even in coveralls it was quite a cold drive (open station tractor). Plus, I need my tractor at the home farm to feed cows through the winter.

We knew that we're going to have to trench around 1,000 feet of water and electric line, and some of it will have to be deeper than what the either of the local rental places trenchers can go. That led me to start looking at other options.

I came upon a Case 360 trencher/backhoe combo with a Deutz 2 cylinder air cooled engine. I called my local Case Equipment dealer to ask them about it and they said they still support it as much as they can, and that they also have contacts with other parts distributors to get things that they don't have (as apparently Case sold their underground/trencher line to Astec, which later sold to Toro - at least I think that's what he said).

Anyway, we went and looked at the machine and it seemed to operate fine. Got it home a couple of days later and have done just a bit of trenching (just to dig a trench to make sure it works, not for anything important) and dug out some stumps with the backhoe.

I think the backhoe may be more powerful than the one on my my Kioti, and I really like being able to move the machine around and re-position without having to change seats (or even swivel around).

I know in my searching, I came upon a few threads about Case 360 trenchers here on Tractorbynet and was curious if anybody had any comments about them - good, bad, indifferent or anything in particular to watch out for.

The dealer that I bought it from said they they had replaced all the main drive belts (and they looked new) and also put on a new starter and a new battery. They claimed the previous owner had used it for trenching and digging but was done trenching and he traded it in on a small Kubota TLB.

Just curious if anyone had any comments.

Good luck and take care.

Attachments

• Case 360 Trencher.jpg
    Case 360 Trencher.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 768
   / Case 360 Trencher/Backhoe #2  
Looks to be a D-100 hoe on there. Every D-100 I've seen has used Cesna valves/cylinders. Cylinder rebuilds shouldn't be an issue. If something goes wrong on the valves, good luck. I had to put a new valve set on my Case 646 with D-100, and that wasn't any fun at all. That said, the D-100 is an extremely strong, well build hoe for its size. Case made several bajillion of them, and put them on the 644, 646, and 648 units, trenchers, skid steer units, and I think I've seen 3pt rigs as well. It started life as a Davis design, and they made a bunch too on their trenchers, and the like. Looks like you're missing the transport links. Just a couple pieces of flat stock with holes to keep the hoe from leaking down while doing other work. They're missing from just about every unit I've seen...

/ Case 360 Trencher/Backhoe
It is indeed a D-100 backhoe, and it even still has the transport link - it's just on the opposite side, so you can't see it in this shot.

The only thing that I found odd about it, and I have no idea if it is something different about this backhoe or if all of them are this way, is the way the wobble sticks that control the functions are. They should work the same way as the backhoe on my Kioti, in terms of what each control. However, where the left hand wobble stick is setup as a normal "+" pattern, the right side wobble stick is an "x" pattern. I don't know if this makes sense, but it is, of course, the same pattern, just tilted on a 45 degree angle. I was having a lot of trouble blending the functions until I figured out what was going on. It doesn't look like there's any damage or anything out of adjustment with the base of the stick and how it interfaces into the valve, and the valve itself is indeed different (not just a mirror image) of the left valve.

Not a big deal, just a little different.

Good luck and take care.

/ Case 360 Trencher/Backhoe #4  
I haven't run across one with wobbles sticks (until I put them on mine), so I can't say if that's normal. I imagine if you can come up with the parts breakout for that particular version it might show something. 'Course, I can't say I've ever run across anything with an X layout. Interesting to know if nothing else. Good luck with it. Apart from the valves, mine has never given me any issues.
IMG_20161013_0854386.jpg

/ Case 360 Trencher/Backhoe #5  
I have a Davis 100--- thats older than yours. My Davis loader and backhoe came on a 1956 John Deere 420-u tractor. Mine were made before Case bought out Davis Machine Co. also have a Davis T-66 crawler trencher with a new diggin chain on it. Davis stuff was well made and MADE IN AMERICA!! lol!