Case 446 How long will a SCUT last

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last #1  

Botabill

Platinum Member
I just acquired a Case 446 tractor from a friend. His Dad bought it new in 1978. The machine has hydrostatic drive, 3 point hitch, mid mount mower, snowblower, cultivator, single furrow plow, rototiller, lawn sweeper and wheel weights. The engine is gas and is a 16 HP onan. The first thing I thought when I saw it is ... this is the grandfarher of our modern SCUTs. Amazingly like an old version of my BX 1800 and it's still running even with a gas engine after 30 years. If the 446 can last 30 years (and from what I read on the net it will probably be running years from now) our modern SCUTs should last as long or longer. Anyone know anything about the Case 446. Interesting the fluid that is used in the hydraulic system is engine oil.

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last #2  
I'm not sure i would lay much money on the averave scut lasting 30 years like the tractors of yesterday commonly do.. I think it's wishfull thinking.. though if they do, I will be happily surprised.

Engine oil in a hydro trans isn't that surprising. i have CAT heavy equipment from the 60's and 70's that specs sae 30w engine oil in the trannies..

soundguy

Botabill said:
I just acquired a Case 446 tractor from a friend. His Dad bought it new in 1978. The machine has hydrostatic drive, 3 point hitch, mid mount mower, snowblower, cultivator, single furrow plow, rototiller, lawn sweeper and wheel weights. The engine is gas and is a 16 HP onan. The first thing I thought when I saw it is ... this is the grandfarher of our modern SCUTs. Amazingly like an old version of my BX 1800 and it's still running even with a gas engine after 30 years. If the 446 can last 30 years (and from what I read on the net it will probably be running years from now) our modern SCUTs should last as long or longer. Anyone know anything about the Case 446. Interesting the fluid that is used in the hydraulic system is engine oil.

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last #3  
I'll bet the original owner did all the maintenance on time.

jb

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last
Yes he did all the maintenance on time. All the reciepts came with it. He spent more through those years on maintenance than he originally paid for the tractor.

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last #5  
All Right! I won the bet! Now I have to buy me a cup of coffee!

jb

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last #6  
Would that Case really be considered a SCUT? I always thought it was a lawn and garden tractor.

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last #7  
My friend HARRY owns one ,it has been one tough little tractor.He has owned it since the 70s .ITs primary function has been snow removal.Iused it several times to install my lawn.After borrowing it,it prompted me to buy my own-a modern bx-23.You didnt say loader did you? Harrys has a front end loader,which works great.No other attachments on his.Iwould love to see pics to show harry.Itryed to ask questions about it a while back.Couldnt find any one with one.He once told me a backhoe was available too.
ALAN

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last
Would that Case really be considered a SCUT? That's a good question. Well, as you know I own a Kubota BX 1800. I don't think there would be any question that the BX is a SCUT. The 446 is very similar to a BX though more primitive. It doesn't have 4 wheel drive but I don't think that eliminates it from the SCUT category. Mine doesn't have a FEL but some 446s do and some BXs don't. Weight is less in the 446 but again is that a line that makes or breaks a SCUT. Some 446 tractors have a hydraulic three point hitch (mine does) albeit a 0 category as opposed to a category 1 one on my BX. Essentially the 446 can do anything that a BX can do though with less power. My 446 has a hydraulic take off at the back for the rototiller but no power take off. Is a 446 a scut.... hmmmmm I don't know what really separates a SCUT from a CUT or garden tractor. Any suggestions?

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last #9  
I think those were made by Ingersol Rand.

/ Case 446 How long will a SCUT last #10  
I think their longevity is due to their simplicity. I have no doubt that the engine and transmission of my 2003 Deere 4310 will last a long time. However, what does concern me is everything else. The electric 4WD engagement, all the plastic, fuel switch solenoids. It's all those little convienences that I think are the weak points on todays tractors. There just wasn't that much to break on the old iron.