Case 446 purchase..

/ Case 446 purchase.. #1  

LabRatJC

Hello. As a new member, I thought I would start off with an good one to ponder.. I have the opportune to purchase an older Case 446 (don't know the particulars yet, guessing mid '70s) for $300. It needs the hydraulic pump replaced. Owner said the 16 hp Onan runs well and looking over the tractor, it looks well maintained and solid. Would you consider this a good deal and is replacing the pump a difficult job? Thank you.

/ Case 446 purchase.. #2  
I have been doing some research on the 446 and will be going saturday to look at one. I dont know how hard it would be to replace the pump, but i did run across one on ebay. If it has a three point hitch, it is worth as much as your paying for the tractor. Just do a search for case 446 tractor forum and you will find a wealth of info there. Also i did note that prices up north are way lower than what is being asked for down south.

/ Case 446 purchase.. #3  
That is a pretty good price unless there is a lot more wrong with it than the pump. You could easily part it out to recover your money and then some.

These are great tractors - all steel and made to last. When I was in high school in the late 1960's I worked at a shop that sold them. They just never came back for repairs. 30 years later I bought a new one (an Ingersoll) and not much had changed.

/ Case 446 purchase..
Well, I picked her up this past weekend. I figured the same Travelover. If need be I'd part it out. Don't want to though. I've been reading up on them and I must say, I've been impressed.... Gotta get her running to see what all is wrong. I've been keeping my eyes pealed for the pump.
Also concluded that around here, Ken, they aren't everywhere and finding used stuff is a little rough. Thank you both.

/ Case 446 purchase.. #5  
They are a great little tractor. I have had one for about 17 years. It is very dependable and has a lot of guts. Here are some pics of my son plowin snow.:D

image.aspx

/ Case 446 purchase.. #7  
Well, I picked her up this past weekend. I figured the same Travelover. If need be I'd part it out. Don't want to though. I've been reading up on them and I must say, I've been impressed.... Gotta get her running to see what all is wrong. I've been keeping my eyes pealed for the pump.
Also concluded that around here, Ken, they aren't everywhere and finding used stuff is a little rough. Thank you both.

There is a guy parting out a Case in Jackson, Michigan on Craigslist. You might get him to send you any parts you need.