Case 580 580M Transmission Filter Change

/ Case 580 580M Transmission Filter Change #1  

Zardiw

Tractor
Case 2006 580SM
Case 580 580M Backhoe Transmission Filter Change

When I first found out where this filter was, I was astounded. Burying a filter in such an inaccessible place was lunacy. The engineers were smoking wacky weed that day........and I heard from some Case mechanics that the new Backhoes were even WORSE......lol

But thanks to this forum, I got a little more information.........and after a few days of pondering/procrastinating I did it this morning, and it only took, about 40 minutes or so......could probably be done in a lot less time.

You WILL NEED this tool........and a cheater bar:

BH2.jpg

You can move some wires away, and a hose or so, and there will be enough room to remove and extract the old filter.

Pull it out with the open end first.....you can put your finger in the center threaded hole to help remove it........it's a very tight hole that you're gonna be pulling it out through.

I got that filter wrench on it, but it was so tight I had to use a cheater bar to get it loose. Luckily those kind of filter pliers will 'lock' up so you only need the cheater on one handle.

Here's the old one:

BH3.jpg

Put the new one in with the closed end first.....the reverse of taking the old one out.....wiggle it around and you can get it lined up to screw in......a flashlight helps to see where you need to go.....

You have to do most of this by feel, cause it's awkward looking and installing at the same time.

Once I got the new one bottomed, I used that filter wrench to turn it a 1/2 turn and voila':

BH1.jpg

PS. I did a blow test (the center hole is 1/2" Pipe thread, so I screwed a nipple in there. The old one had a LOT more resistance than the new one......so if you haven't changed this filter in awhile (recommended every 1,000 hrs), I suggest you gird your loins and do it.

z

/ Case 580 580M Transmission Filter Change #2  
Good you got it done Z been a while and I'd forgotten the particulars ty for the reminders.

/ Case 580 580M Transmission Filter Change
I just ordered a long handled filter wrench from Case that should make it even easier to remove/install the filter....

It looks just like the one I used/pictured, but has longer handles....

...z