Case 580c injection pump sticky - literally

/ Case 580c injection pump sticky - literally #1  

jshwhite

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4740
Long story short, I got a 1979 Case 580c backhoe a while back and have been working on getting it back up and working. It had sat for a couple years before I bought it, and had hydraulic leaks, blown hoses, blown seals, water in all the fluids, etc, etc...it was a mess. The one thing that did work was the engine - started up and loaded/unloaded just fine. I parked it and it has sat for about 6 weeks while I've been working on it bit by bit.

Well, yesterday I finished the repairs and went to start it up. Started fine, ran at full throttle, and then died. Started it again, ran lower rpm, and died. The throttle does absolutely nothing. It just starts, runs at whatever rpm it feels like, and dies after a few seconds. After a few times it won't start at all. I checked all the obvious. Air filter is new. I changed the fuel filters - plenty of fuel is getting to the injection pump. Cracked the lines at the injectors and they're getting fuel, but not much of it.

So I took the cover off the injection pump and it's all gooey sticky inside. When I move the throttle it returns very slowly. So I'm thinking the governor is stuck and slow, and who knows what else. Question is, is there some product I could pour in the top of the pump and let it soak to dissolve the goo? Or am I looking at a pump rebuild?

I've never dealt with this on a diesel before. Any help appreciated.

/ Case 580c injection pump sticky - literally #2  
Take the pump off and send to injection shop OR take it apart and thoroughly clean parts in Berryman's or equivalent to get rid of the goo. If it is cleaned part way, it will continue to stick the plungers and clog smaller orifices. Also, it will pass onto injectors and cause clogging there.

/ Case 580c injection pump sticky - literally #3  
Even IF u find something to cut the goo.. it would settle down at the bottom in the advance mechanism..
And anything that would cut the goo would most likely eat up the “plastic” flex ring..
You see where I’m going with this.??

/ Case 580c injection pump sticky - literally
Even IF u find something to cut the goo.. it would settle down at the bottom in the advance mechanism..
And anything that would cut the goo would most likely eat up the “plastic” flex ring..
You see where I’m going with this.??
Thanks pumpguy. I appreciate the input from a professional! I do see where you're going with it :) Maybe I should be taking it off and sending it to you.
But here's what I'm wondering: if I dump some seafoam through it and get it running, is it going to just postpone a more involved fix or is it going to actually cause damage that will cost me more down the road?

I'm asking because I recently moved and got some property and I'm working on getting a shop built. Right now I'm doing repairs in the driveway. If I can get this machine running so I can prep the shop site, I'll be a lot more inclined to do proper repairs once I have a roof and a concrete floor. If I'm going to have to pull the pump and have it gone through anyway, is it going to hurt anything to run it as-is for the time being?

/ Case 580c injection pump sticky - literally #5  
I’m gonna send u a prvt. msg..