Case 580c

/ Case 580c #11  
Fredbear 241:
You're calculations are off, in loose dirt a cu m is close to a m ton.
Liquid concrete is about the only thing that is 2m ton/1 cu m.
So this would get u 1300 m ton of dirt.
My backhoe has a 3/4 cu yd bucket so say 700kg/load.
One a larger trackhoe a 1 cu m bucket or larger is common.
U must have small dump trucks at only 12m ton each.
We commonly load (legal) 20 m ton and if hauling 'on site' go up to 30- 35 m ton.
I dug a basement Sunday morning did over 60 cu yd/hour and wasn't working hard and left the floor level with-in 1".
If I could get my hoe there cheap I'd do it for 25,000-35,000USD, i could even take 2 weeks and still make lots of money. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I still think they are RIPPING u off. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Case 580c #12  
Well, I can't tell you too much in the way in calculations becuase I'm only 18 and have never been exposed to those equations regarding that stuff "YET" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. If you think that a backhoe would be good for you around the property, if you have other projects except the one you're talking about, get one. My boss has a backhoe and has had it for, oh, over 20 years or so. He's the old fashioned type and won't use a trackhoe, mini or large or dozer for anything. It's either, it can be done with the backhoe or not at all. I think that if he can get by, then you can as well. I guess you'll just have to go the slow way and load the trucks with the hoe, get a 4 foot bucket so you have a nice wide bucket for more materials. I don't know. If companies won't come out then don't bother, they either aren't that serious, or are flakey and you don't want them scewing up your property. What's on either side of your road that limits you're size to only 5-6 meters of room?

Blake
WA

/ Case 580c
Post above mentioned "dirt", unfortunaely we don't have a lot of that :-( We have prob 3-4" dirt over shale & other. & i'm sure there are a few large 'nuggets' in ther that will need to be picked out (one reason an excavator might be better?)

I've looked at "breakout" numbers to compare equipment, but I guess the real question is how well does a backhoe dig.
eg for those that dig sewer or similar deep trenches (a few meters), have you ever not been able to dig it with a backhoe? What sort of material / rock type stopped you? What did you use instead?

The Driveway will be approx 5m wide + batters, and is to be cut across & into a slope / hillside. ummm another way, the house is on top of a hill. the land slopes down to the road and beyond. at the road edge there is a 5m vert wall where the road was cut accross the hill. So I need to grade down from the house + slope down the extra 5m to create approx 15% driveway slope from road to house. So at the bottom end, it will be like digging a deeeeep swimming pool ~5m deep & 5m wide, except it will have batters.

/ Case 580c #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue">~5m deep & 5m wide, except it will have batters </font> )</font>
Are you referring to a retaining wall of some sort?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> have you ever not been able to dig it with a backhoe? What sort of material / rock type stopped you? What did you use instead?
</font> )</font> Jackhammer </font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> </font> To fill the truck with a loader, rather than the hoe, might not be possible. I'm talking about a driveway width to work within. </font>
)</font> You might have to back out of the hole to turn around and load a truck.
It sounds as if you might be expecting to do the driveway yourself in the same amount of time as the excavation crew? I thought you were talking about doing it by yourself, load a truck-dump the load and repeat a whole bunch of times! It will take a lot of nights, weekends and holidays. Plus, if your not an operator it will take time to learn how to do those things efficiently.

/ Case 580c #15  
<font color="blue"> BTW I was able to use the front loader to lift my new Harley out of my pickup. Never know when a backhoe could come in handy .
</font> Congratulations on both, but maybe condolences are in order also. Best digging weather is also the best riding weather /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Decisions, decisions....They are both seat time though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Case 580c
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Are you referring to a retaining wall of some sort?
)</font> Nope, just a 'hole', (with battered sides) to get down to the road (which has been cut into the side of the hill, and has a vertical wall on the uphill side)
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Jackhammer )</font> ummmm assume you don't do that often /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ie the backhoe digs thru just about anything?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( in the same amount of time as the excavation crew? )</font> Not at all, infact the more seat the better :) but I I don't cut my lawn with scissors, and I'm not looking to do the same with the driveway.

/ Case 580c #17  
<font color="blue"> the backhoe digs thru just about anything? </font> No, I wouldn't want to say that. My experience is with things I couldn't move with backhoe or excavator has been to break it up into smaller pieces. <font color="blue"> I don't cut my lawn with scissors, and I'm not looking to do the same with the driveway. </font> Nor do I /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif yet finding the comfort zone between "how much does it cost" and "how long will it take" can be a difficult dilemma.

/ Case 580c #18  
"Dummy" is right about breaking things up. I wouldn't put too much stress on a backhoe if you can't 'dig' through it. The teeth on the bucket will break if you're too rough, and you don't want to slam the bucket into the materials because that's a good way to ruin the teeth and the hoe itself. So, if you have trouble even at high throttle, than you'll have to maybe use a hammer to break it up or something.

Blake
WA

/ Case 580c #19  
I've ridden 23 years+ /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, so I spend a bit more time "riding" the backhoe. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've already moved about 75 yards of dirt to build berms around the pad of my soon to be built workshop/garage. This has taken me a while, but I'm learning as i go./forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Also used the front bucket to move firewood last winter and my back appreciated it.