Case 580e -where do I add hydraulic fluid?

/ Case 580e -where do I add hydraulic fluid? #11  
Ok, I'll get you a pic tomorrow after work. We got a bit of a break from the cold today, about +3 C today. Freezing rain and snow on the way - supposed to be some storm front heading our way from Texas! That's a switch. :confused2:

/ Case 580e -where do I add hydraulic fluid?
You know it's got to be the mother of all storms if it was born in texas, you best seek out shelter now. I just poured about 3.5 gallons into that reservoir and it is still about 2 inches below the add mark. I also added about another quart to the shuttle and I think the slipping stopped, at least in 1rst and 2nd, which makes me wonder... can you be in 3rd and pull up a small incline in dirt, something like up out of the ditch that might be along side a road, or is 3rd and 4th more for level ground?

/ Case 580e -where do I add hydraulic fluid? #13  
You know it's got to be the mother of all storms if it was born in texas, you best seek out shelter now. I just poured about 3.5 gallons into that reservoir and it is still about 2 inches below the add mark. I also added about another quart to the shuttle and I think the slipping stopped, at least in 1rst and 2nd, which makes me wonder... can you be in 3rd and pull up a small incline in dirt, something like up out of the ditch that might be along side a road, or is 3rd and 4th more for level ground?

Yeah, supposedly an ice storm on the way. Got to go fill up a couple more gas cans for the genny.

I rarely use 3rd gear and 4th, forget it. But I think my TC is on its last legs. 1st and 2nd gear are OK. Mine was an ex-township unit so probably saw a lot of road use. Back tires were like slicks! All I've done to it is new back tires, brakes and some new hydraulic lines here and there as needed. The 4BT runs like a top. I don't think I could go up a ditch in 3rd, at least I'm sure it would be a struggle.

Ok, took a couple of pictures before heading to work. They're not great, but anyway, the engine oil dipstick is about 13 3/8 inches long. The gap between FULL and ADD is only 1/4 inch. The full mark is about 10 1/4 inches below bottom edge of the metal cap of the dipstick. Now you can probably add a quarter inch to this measurement as the cap would fit over the dipstick tube by about that much when fully seated.

oil-dip2.JPGoil-dip1.JPG

/ Case 580e -where do I add hydraulic fluid?
My severe winter storm left just a dusting of snow, I'm not complaining. Thank you for the info, I'm sure the engine oil will be low as well and when I get books I'll be changing it. This is interesting about the tc. As I was filling the shuttle yesterday suddenly the engine slightly changed it's rpm, I think it slowed down. If my shuttle was very low, would that starve the tc and cause slipping, remedied by filling it up to proper level?

/ Case 580e -where do I add hydraulic fluid? #15  
This is interesting about the tc. As I was filling the shuttle yesterday suddenly the engine slightly changed it's rpm, I think it slowed down. If my shuttle was very low, would that starve the tc and cause slipping, remedied by filling it up to proper level?

That definitely makes sense. I'm sure the old stuff that was in there has undoubtedly lost most of its viscosity and shear strength compared to new TCH fluid. You got me thinking now... maybe I'll drain and refill mine come the spring, it's too cold here now and I don't use it in the winter anyway!

/ Case 580e -where do I add hydraulic fluid? #16  
Hi, I'm new to the group with the same question about my late model 580C. The reason I'm asking the same question is that the top right corner om my 580C has a hole but the fitting in it does not have a dipstick and does not appear to be a fill point. I also have a fitting on the left side of the tractor which looks alot like an oil fill port. Maybe the later series 580C had a different fill port?Case 580 c HF 2 20190720_142642[2].jpg Case 580C h f 1 20190720_142905[2].jpg

/ Case 580e -where do I add hydraulic fluid? #17  
That is an oil fill port with a site glass next to it ( fill to the center of the site glass )

/ Case 580e -where do I add hydraulic fluid? #18  
So I guess the hydraulic fill site was changed on the late model 580C's to the left side like mine? Not all have the right side top?