Backhoe Case 580M backhoe won't start

/ Case 580M backhoe won't start #1  

kwbretired

Silver Member
Tractor
Case 485, John Deere 5425, & John Deere Skid Steer 333D
Have spent several hours trying to get my backhoe to start or oven turnover, it's about a 2002 year model I have installed a new battery, cleaned all the connections positive and ground. Managed to ring off one bolt on the starter while trying to get the ground loose to where I could clean it. I can turn the engine with the fan blade just to make sure it would turn. I have bypassed and then reconnected the seat safety switch, no change. Are there other safety switches that need to be checked? It has been setting up for about a year and a half. I live about 10 hours away so it's been a while since I've had time to fool with it. But I'm now retired again (2nd time) so my wife and I will be retiring up here in Arkansas on our 175 acre place. Thanks in advance for any help.

PS, I will drain the fuel and replace after I get it to turn over. Thanks again.

/ Case 580M backhoe won't start #2  
Look for loose ground wires on the frame. Measure voltage from the switch to the starter solenoid. Have you tried bypassing the switch and jump the starter directly? There are probably neutral and transmission safety switches also.

Look for signs of mice. They may have chewed wires under the hood and dash.

/ Case 580M backhoe won't start
There is no sign of mice, already been down that road. If I could find where the hid the fuse box led check all the fuses. I did find 3 inline fuses the were ok. If there are neutral safety switches, where would they be? I already pulled the ground wire off the frame & starter & cleaned both ends, that's how I managed to break a bolt on the starter, another project form later.

/ Case 580M backhoe won't start #4  
Is the shuttle shifter in neutral ? I don't know of any safety switches other than that.

I'll have to check it tomorrow. I know I played with it but don't remember what position I left it in. Thanks.

Well I got the backhoe running today. Decided to pull the console out to start checking the switch but found 2 wires chewed in half. Spliced them back together and it cranked. I also found the fuel line leaking when I had it running. After letting it run for 15 to 30 minutes I shut it down and pulled the fuel line off, will replace tomorrow. I am confused about one thing though, the fuel lines went to an exchanger setting up high in front of the radiator - what is this exchanger, never seen a setup like this before.
Thanks for the ideas to solve my problem.

/ Case 580M backhoe won't start #7  
Nice you got your BH up and running I've had 1/2 doz. case BH's and never seen what your describing but have had to replace a few fuel lines.

/ Case 580M backhoe won't start #8  
Good to know, thanks for taking the time to look that up.