Case 644, 646, 648

/ Case 644, 646, 648 #11  
Thanks for your reply Bowles! That is some good stuff you are saying about the little Case loaders! I still have yet to try out a loader on the Steiner or Ventrac yet at work, but that day will come. I figured a ballast box would be useful on any tractor loader, I'll also keep my eye out for that bushing if I find one some day.

In order to accesse I cut a piece of floor board out 3in x 5in across front edge this allowed me direct access ,to the said bushing. A pair of needle nose pliars reaching down from top, 10 minutes "vola" a new bushing installed!

/ Case 644, 646, 648 #12  
I had a 646 about twenty or so years ago. They are strictly a hydraulic drive with two gear ranges, no hydrostat. I built a dozer for the front of mine and found a used backhoe that I rebuilt and put on the 646. They are truly an amazing little tractor. Mine did have a problem with diminishing hydraulic drive power when the oil warmed up.

/ Case 644, 646, 648 #13  
My passed expertise tells me deminishing power as hydraulic warms up points to a worn hyd pump, of which I hadto get one for the 1st machine and I'm in the process of ordering a new (after market) for this machine ! 36 yrs later oh well?! After market 150.00 or there abouts ,Can't shop by part # shop as per sample at a large hydraulic supply store

/ Case 644, 646, 648 #14  
Some of the information is incorrect.

The 644 came with a Single Cylinder 14HP Kohler engine. The 646 and 648 both came with Onan engines.
The frame on the 644 is different from the 646 and 648 frames.
The rear transaxle on the loader tractors is different from the Tractor Loader Backhoe versions. The axle trumpets have additional ribs cast on them to support the weight of the D-100 backhoe.
Some 648's came with power steering.
Case made a rear weight box for the loader tractors.
The lifting capacity is in excess of 700#
The Banana Plate is the pieces that wears out along with the bushing causing poor forward/reverse operation.
Not easy to replace or inexpensive but when done properly the shuttle will work very well.
Have owned a half dozen of these and they were the source of my original trailer backhoe design that was stolen and patented by someone else.

/ Case 644, 646, 648
Thats some great information, thanks!

/ Case 644, 646, 648 #16  
I've got a 1972 Case 646 that was capable of pulling a '58 chrysler new yorker up onto a car trailer, they weigh about 5500lbs