Case 648

/ Case 648 #1  

grandmajo

Tractor
yanmar
I have an opportunity to go look at a Case 648 that's for sale kind of close to me. The hour meter is showing 0634 hours (it's a 4 digit meter). The person selling it says it belonged to his father-in-law who passed away a couple years ago and he just doesn't have a use for it. It has 3 point hitch. back blade. Back weights. Chains back tires and he thinks it's a 1988.

My primary use for this would be to move manure from a small goat barn and to remove snow from a long driveway that has a steep hill at the top.

I'd like feedback from anyone who owns/has owned one of these.

Thanks!

/ Case 648 #2  
IF...... the hour meter is accurate, then 634 hours on a 1988 would be exceptionally low. After all, this is a 27 year old machine. Are we to believe that it only saw an average of 23 hours of use each year?

Out of the three 600 Series tractors, the 648 is the most desirable because it has power steering. The 644 and 646 do not. The hitch makes the machine that much more versatile. With any luck, it will also have the optional rear PTO valve sitting on the right fender. Depending upon the size and layout of the goat pen, this tractor should work just fine. Manure is never an easy item to dig, especially if straw bedding is mixed into it. If that is what you are facing, then you might want to make up a set of removable manure tines to make penetration easier.

Snow removal with any FEL is a slow process compared to using a tractor with a blade. Once again, you might want to consider making an angle blade for the front of this machine if you wish to speed up the snow clearing process. Tire chains may be needed all year round as well as the weights. All FEL's must be properly weighted in order to get the best performance from them and this 648 is no different. Perhaps adding Rimguard to the tires would be a good move. Locating an old set of cast iron wheel weights from a combine that used 15 or 16 inch rims on the steering axle can add as much as 160 LBS to each wheel. Manure and snow are slippery and good traction is essential if you wish to be a happy tractor owner.

What is is the asking price for the package?

/ Case 648
Thank you hydriv, that information is great. The owner is asking 3900. Is that a fair price?

/ Case 648 #4  
The price is completely out of line with what these tractors normally sell for. Even if the hours are correct and the tractor is in near mint condition, it is priced $1000.00 too high. If it had the backhoe on it, then the price would be reasonable. When Ingersoll redesigned the entire line up for the 1989 model year, the 600 Series was replaced by the 6000 Series and now..... the early 600's have to compete with the 6000's in the marketplace. For $3900.00, you could find a much newer 6020 Ingersoll that will lift more weight than the 648 will and is a slightly better machine all around.

Part of the problem with listening to my advice is that I do not live where you live. I do not know how badly you need a machine like this nor do I know how often one of these shows up for sale. Sometimes, you just have to suck it up and pay whatever it takes to obtain what you need and then keep it long enough to justify the price. Photos would have been a huge help to me in advising you. I do not want to talk you out of this tractor when I have not seen so much as a single photo to help determine the condition of it. Go and snap some pics and then post them here or e-mail them to me.

/ Case 648
Thank you again hydriv. This is the first time that I have seen one of these up for sale in my somewhat local area. In my area the prices for tractors with loaders seems to be a little high to me, especially the older tractors. I'm seeing the old Fords (8n, 9n, 800, 900, etc) going for around $4000 and that is with a loader only. And I'm not talking ones that have been restored and look nice, I'm talking ones that look like they've been sitting outside for the last 30 years.

Anyways, here are the pictures that the owner sent me. He said it belonged to his father-in-law who passed away 3 years ago. And the he and his father-in-law kept it in the barn

002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg

/ Case 648 #6  
I have a 648, and it happens to be a 1988 model. The one you pictured is not an 88'. If it were it'd say Ingersoll on the arm, not Case. It does look to have been well taken care of. The dash cover is missing, but that's very common on these hyloaders. I agree $3900 is too much money. I paid $2500 for mine a few years ago. They are tough little units though, and you wont regret buying it, as long as the price is right.

/ Case 648
Thank you casey448. I'm glad this forum is here to get this kind of information

/ Case 648 #8  
The 648's were made from 1980 until 1988.

Some general info.

Weight---approx. 1100 lbs

Lift capacity at full height---600 lbs

Bucket size--- 44"

Rear tire size--- 27 x 8.5 x 15

Front tire size---18 x 8.5 x 8

/ Case 648 #9  
IT would appear that this tractor still has the original paint. Overall the condition looks pretty good. Hopefully, he has the dash tower panel that is missing in the 3rd photo. I cannot tell if this tractor is equipped with the rear PTO valve because of the poor photography cutting off the left side of photo 2. As I said before, it all comes down to how bad you need a loader of this size and how deep your pockets are. In my opinion, you will be paying a premium price at 3900 and I would offer him 3000 cash and wave it in front of his face in 100 dollar bills so that he knows you are serious. All he can do is say no and try to get you to raise your offer. Where you saw off is up to the two of you.

/ Case 648
Thank you guys for all the info and the input. I really appreciate it!