Case 680k boom cylinder removal?

/ Case 680k boom cylinder removal? #1  

gbontrager

Tractor
Case 680K
Trying to get left bucket elevator cylinder off. Lower snapping no problem. Upper one not normal snap ring but is very thick with only a split, no holes like snap ring. Any help would be appreciated. Large snap ring tool won't get it?
Help please

Attachments

• 20240318_153205.jpg
    20240318_153205.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 33
  • 20240318_153157.jpg
    20240318_153157.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
   / Case 680k boom cylinder removal? #2  
Proper tool would be a set of retaining ring pliers but they are pretty pricey a decent set are around $50. I have removed them using a couple similar pry bars like in the second picture drop them in the space and pry against each other and walk one end out of the groove. Equal force "should" keep it from turning. Once one end is out of the groove place one pry behind it horizontally to keep it from slipping back in and the other to pry out further and chase with the other for a little ways. Also a good idea once out far enough is to firmly clamp a small pair of vise grips on the end you have out, as they have been known to fly out into Perky's woods. (Purgatory, to sometimes never be found, don't ask how I know, but luckily did.) Might also be a good idea to put on a set of safety glasses if you use the prying method.
1710850333729.png

/ Case 680k boom cylinder removal?
Awesome. This isn't the only place this type of clamp ring is used on the front bucket or backhoe. Found a place to get those pliers. Be here Thursday. Thanks a million

/ Case 680k boom cylinder removal? #4  
Awesome. This isn't the only place this type of clamp ring is used on the front bucket or backhoe. Found a place to get those pliers. Be here Thursday. Thanks a million
Welcome... I have a 480, so have a few of those too. I'm just too tight to buy a pair, LOL.. Just keep looking for a pair at flea markets and boxes of "stuff" at auctions, but nothing yet. Until then I'll use the pry method.