Case Farmall 55C CVT

/ Case Farmall 55C CVT #1  

vlcakc

Silver Member
Tractor
Case Farmall 55 CVT Cab W Loader
The hood latch on the Farmall 55C CVT is jammed. Can't open the hood for service. It worked fine until a few days ago. I had a similar problem with a previous tractor, a NH TC45D, but was always able to finally get it open. Any tips on how I might be able to un-jam it? Vic

/ Case Farmall 55C CVT
Problem resolved. Please delete.

/ Case Farmall 55C CVT #3  
The hood latch on the Farmall 55C CVT is jammed. Can't open the hood for service. It worked fine until a few days ago. I had a similar problem with a previous tractor, a NH TC45D, but was always able to finally get it open. Any tips on how I might be able to un-jam it? Vic

How are you liking the 55c? I have the New Holland version.

/ Case Farmall 55C CVT
No real problems with the Case 55C. I had a NH TC-45D with hydrostat previously and using the CVT has been a learning process.

/ Case Farmall 55C CVT #5  
No real problems with the Case 55C. I had a NH TC-45D with hydrostat previously and using the CVT has been a learning process.

I hope your luck is better than mine. Loved the tractor initially and still like the cvt trans. Mine has been a nightmare, nothing related to the cvt though.

/ Case Farmall 55C CVT
I hope your luck is better than mine. Loved the tractor initially and still like the cvt trans. Mine has been a nightmare, nothing related to the cvt though.

Any specifics I should look out for? Vic

/ Case Farmall 55C CVT #7  
Any specifics I should look out for? Vic

I think I got a Monday tractor. My prior tractor was a 2008 Case farmall 45 with hydro. It was bullet proof. Never a single issue. It had about 3,500 hours on it when I traded it in for my current 2015 Case 55C. It was purchased in November of 2016. Right now it's back in the shop. Only 350 hours on it because Case has had possession of it almost as much as I have. Some things minor and a lot of major issues.

1. radiator leaks around hose fittings right after purchase. fixed myself
2. Front end has gone out and needed rebuilt. First trip to dealer.
3. Instrument cluster dead. Had to replace the entire cluster with a new one.
4. Loader tilt leaked really bad. You could pick up a pallet with the forks and watch it drop. Took two different trips to the dealer to finally fix.
5. Replaced the rocker switch for the 4 wheel drive. dealer mailed switch
6. Tractor with CVT trans should hold on a slope when in gear. On occasion mine would let loose and freewheel. Another trip to dealer to adjust idle and CVT settings.
7. Seat safety switch went out. Tractor dead in the water. Called dealer and it is designed so that it cannot be bypassed. Dealer sent a mobile repair to fix onsite.
8. Tractor switching to neutral while driving and throwing error codes. Have to completely shut down and restart to get it back into drive. Back to dealer.
9. Drivers side rear hub leaking. Back to dealer.
10. Speed range selector switch quit working. Cannot switch speed range. Back to dealer.
11. Front end went out a second time. Gears need rebuilt again. Only backing up with a bucket of gravel the second time on flat land. Rear tires filled and grader blade on the back of the tractor. I think the front end on this model is weak.
12. Complained to dealer right after purchase that I can hear a rattle sound at highway speed. Sound starts above 17 mph. Dealer couldn't find anything and told me there was nothing wrong. This has continued for the last two years since purchase so I try to keep speed at 16 mph on hwy even though it will run 20. Last week not paying attention I quickly hit 20 mph going downhill and the sound got extremely loud then stopped completely when I heard a pop. Heading home in the snow I noticed I did not have 4wheel drive. The rattle I had complained about since purchase was because the drive shaft was either bent or out of balance. I'm not sure how it could have been bent as the sound was there since purchase. At high speed the drive shaft was flexing and hitting the oil pan. You can see on the oil pan where it was rubbing. It finally busted. The pop was the drive shaft cracking my oil pan when it gave. Busted drive shaft on both ends, cracked oil pan. A little "as seen on tv" flex tape to fix the leak so I could drive the tractor onto the trailer. (Yes that stuff really does work). Tractor is currently back at the dealer as I type. Drive shaft is in two parts. One part is backordered and the other part does not even show an availability date as none are currently available.

When the tractor works it is fantastic. The CVT is far superior in my opinion. Only problem is that my tractor does not seem to work very often. This last issue with the driveshaft is now out of warranty.

/ Case Farmall 55C CVT
I think I got a Monday tractor. My prior tractor was a 2008 Case farmall 45 with hydro. It was bullet proof. Never a single issue. It had about 3,500 hours on it when I traded it in for my current 2015 Case 55C. It was purchased in November of 2016. Right now it's back in the shop. Only 350 hours on it because Case has had possession of it almost as much as I have. Some things minor and a lot of major issues.

4. Loader tilt leaked really bad. You could pick up a pallet with the forks and watch it drop. Took two different trips to the dealer to finally fix.
6. Tractor with CVT trans should hold on a slope when in gear. On occasion mine would let loose and freewheel. Another trip to dealer to adjust idle and CVT settings.
7. Seat safety switch went out. Tractor dead in the water. Called dealer and it is designed so that it cannot be bypassed. Dealer sent a mobile repair to fix onsite.
8. Tractor switching to neutral while driving and throwing error codes. Have to completely shut down and restart to get it back into drive. Back to dealer.
10. Speed range selector switch quit working. Cannot switch speed range. Back to dealer.
11. Front end went out a second time. Gears need rebuilt again. Only backing up with a bucket of gravel the second time on flat land. Rear tires filled and grader blade on the back of the tractor. I think the front end on this model is weak.
12. Complained to dealer right after purchase that I can hear a rattle sound at highway speed. Sound starts above 17 mph. Dealer couldn't find anything and told me there was nothing wrong. This has continued for the last two years since purchase so I try to keep speed at 16 mph on hwy even though it will run 20. Last week not paying attention I quickly hit 20 mph going downhill and the sound got extremely loud then stopped completely when I heard a pop. Heading home in the snow I noticed I did not have 4wheel drive. The rattle I had complained about since purchase was because the drive shaft was either bent or out of balance. I'm not sure how it could have been bent as the sound was there since purchase. At high speed the drive shaft was flexing and hitting the oil pan. You can see on the oil pan where it was rubbing. It finally busted. The pop was the drive shaft cracking my oil pan when it gave. Busted drive shaft on both ends, cracked oil pan. A little "as seen on tv" flex tape to fix the leak so I could drive the tractor onto the trailer. (Yes that stuff really does work). Tractor is currently back at the dealer as I type. Drive shaft is in two parts. One part is backordered and the other part does not even show an availability date as none are currently available.

When the tractor works it is fantastic. The CVT is far superior in my opinion. Only problem is that my tractor does not seem to work very often. This last issue with the driveshaft is now out of warranty.

Wow! I would be seriously unhappy! My tractor is a 2018 model, so hopefully CNH QC has improved. I have fewer hours on mine. If the weather ever improves I plan to start a pasture improvement project and put some more hours on the tractor. Fields have been too muddy to work for a couple of months. Vic

/ Case Farmall 55C CVT #9  

Holy crap! I would leave that thing at the dealer for good! What a shame...

/ Case Farmall 55C CVT #10  
Holy crap! I would leave that thing at the dealer for good! What a shame...

Pretty frustrating to say the least. Have owned 2 other Case compacts prior to this one with almost zero issues. The tractor is awesome when its running. Every issue I keep thinking it has to be the last for awhile but they just keep coming.