Case IH 265 Offset mid hydraulic lift won't lower

/ Case IH 265 Offset mid hydraulic lift won't lower #1  

djokes

Tractor
Kubota M6040F, Case IH 265
Hi all,

I purchased a 1988 Case IH 265 cultivating tractor on an online auction a couple of months ago. It was said to be field ready, but when I received it, the mid hydraulic lift (belly mounted toolbar) was stuck in the lifted position. When I push down on the lever in attempts to lower the toolbar, it simply stretches the spring within the linkage that is supposed to extend/retract the cylinder to raise/lower the toolbar.

I'm not sure if all 265s have this, but there is a component (control valve?) mounted on top of the cylinder that both the hydraulic lines and the control lever linkage plug into. When I try to manually push and pull the little cylinder that connects to the control lever linkage, it moves only a fraction of a centimeter and doesn't raise or lower the toolbar. It seems seized. I have attached a photo of the lift cylinder.

So that was the status when I received the tractor, and that is the status right now, but there was a period of a 2-3 days when it worked properly. I can't say I did anything specific to get it working, nor did I make any changes that led it to stop working afterwards. Just a fluke.

The hydraulic fluid levels are good. The components of the hydraulic lift system all look clean and in good condition.

Has anyone experienced this before with a 265 or tractor with a similar setup?

I apologize if I don't have all the right terms to describe this. I'm definitely not a mechanic, but I want to learn and try what I can before resorting to calling the Case dealer.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dana

Attachments

• 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 277
   / Case IH 265 Offset mid hydraulic lift won't lower #2  
The first thing I would do is take off the cover that's held on by four allen bolts. I'm thinking that inside you will find rust and junk. Clean it off and spray WD-40 or similar on each end where it gores into the control box and lightly tap the control rod back and forth. As soon as you have any movement wash the crud away with the WD-40. Use the spray can as a mini power washer. Keep doing this untill you have free movement. I had to do this to a hydraulic splitter on my tractor. Every year it would be seized up until I worked it back and forth to clean all the rust out.

/ Case IH 265 Offset mid hydraulic lift won't lower
The first thing I would do is take off the cover that's held on by four allen bolts. I'm thinking that inside you will find rust and junk. Clean it off and spray WD-40 or similar on each end where it gores into the control box and lightly tap the control rod back and forth. As soon as you have any movement wash the crud away with the WD-40. Use the spray can as a mini power washer. Keep doing this untill you have free movement. I had to do this to a hydraulic splitter on my tractor. Every year it would be seized up until I worked it back and forth to clean all the rust out.

Thanks so much for the suggestion. To clarify, you're referring to is the tapered cap on the left side of the component with the "A P B" on it? You're calling this the control box - check. Do I leave this mounted to the cylinder while I do the WD-40 cleaning?

And the most important question - is this tied in with the hydraulic line (i.e. will hydraulic fluid come out when I take off that cap, and thus do I need to do anything to depressurize or drain hydraulic fluid)? Or is this a separate compartment that controls the fluid coming into the block and cylinder below that? I have no idea what I'll see when I look inside.

Thanks again!
Dana

/ Case IH 265 Offset mid hydraulic lift won't lower #4  
Thanks so much for the suggestion. To clarify, you're referring to is the tapered cap on the left side of the component with the "A P B" on it? You're calling this the control box - check. Do I leave this mounted to the cylinder while I do the WD-40 cleaning?

And the most important question - is this tied in with the hydraulic line (i.e. will hydraulic fluid come out when I take off that cap, and thus do I need to do anything to depressurize or drain hydraulic fluid)? Or is this a separate compartment that controls the fluid coming into the block and cylinder below that? I have no idea what I'll see when I look inside.

Thanks again!
Dana

Yes to your question of the tapered cap. If you can work on it while it's mounted on the tractor then do so. There shouldn't be any fluids coming out as it's just a cap to protect the end of the control shaft. I suspect it'll have water and junk in it. I'm hoping that's the source of your troubles.

/ Case IH 265 Offset mid hydraulic lift won't lower
Yes to your question of the tapered cap. If you can work on it while it's mounted on the tractor then do so. There shouldn't be any fluids coming out as it's just a cap to protect the end of the control shaft. I suspect it'll have water and junk in it. I'm hoping that's the source of your troubles.

Alright, I'll pop it open and take a look tomorrow. I hope you're right that all it will take is cleaning out some junk from the control box. I'll let you know what I find.