Case IH 485 Clutch Issue??

/ Case IH 485 Clutch Issue?? #1  

Cajundave10

Tractor
1995 Case IH 3230 60hp
I am finding that my power is somewhat cyclical on my tractor when driving and especially when pulling my box blade. Motor and rpms stay consistent but power/pulling is weak and cyclical. Is my clutch going out on me or does it just need an adjustment? I have no other issues with it going into gear etc

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

/ Case IH 485 Clutch Issue?? #2  
Could be both, but try the adjustment first. If you've been operating with little or no free play on the pedal, the clutch is suspect but may still have some life left. Try adjusting the clevis on the rod leading down from the pedal. Unscrew the yoke a few turns until you have an inch or so of free play on the pedal and see what that gains you.

/ Case IH 485 Clutch Issue??
Ok If I read you correctly, I lengthened the linkage and couple of turns, same result. Then I lengthened as much as I could and and I am having the same issues.

Again motor running fine and consistent and no issues going into gear or anything.

Does this sound like a slipping clutch?

/ Case IH 485 Clutch Issue?? #4  
Sounds like more than slipping. I'd say it's toast. Was there any free play when you started?

/ Case IH 485 Clutch Issue??
Sounds like more than slipping. I'd say it's toast. Was there any free play when you started?
Free play as in if I were to pull the clutch up towards the steering wheel? Or when pressing the clutch pedal?

/ Case IH 485 Clutch Issue?? #6  
Free play is generally the distance you can depress your clutch pedal with two fingers. At that point you should be able to determine that the throw out bearing is in contact with the pressure plate release levers. Provided the pedal return spring(s) are functioning properly, you should be able to see the shaft entering the clutch housing rotate just slightly, sometimes you can actually hear the contact internally.

The concept is when the adjustment is too tight, the throw out bearing can hold pressure on the release levers, not unlike when you push the pedal down part way. This reduces the grip on the clutch disc. If you run it that way long enough, the disc material wears down, pretty soon the tractor stops pulling. Sound familiar?

/ Case IH 485 Clutch Issue?? #7  
Self adjusting clutch should cause the pedal to lift higher as the clutch wears.

Likely need a clutch, pressure plate and flywheel to make it work like new again.

/ Case IH 485 Clutch Issue?? #8  
   / Case IH 485 Clutch Issue?? #9  

Is this the self adjusting clutch you're referring to?

Linkage looks correct, you have to adjust pedal height with turnbuckle "11"

Eventually you run out of adjustment and the clutch is toast.

There are variations where IH/CIH went from adjustable to self adjusting.

/ Case IH 485 Clutch Issue?? #10  
From my 485 operator's manual

Attachments

• 485clutch.jpg
    485clutch.jpg
    667.2 KB · Views: 99