Case International 585 Hydraulic/Transmission Issues?

/ Case International 585 Hydraulic/Transmission Issues? #11  
There is some kind of priority valve on the 585, it may be jammed. Ours would act up for a few reasons:
1) the suction pipe in the sump fell off / had a hole so we had to keep the transmission overfilled for the hydraulics to work at all.
2) people would bump one of the remote levers into the detent position with nothing hooked up. Usually took a while to notice but the loader and hitch wouldn't work well until it was back in neutral.
3) Steering bound up. In deep mud with the steering cranked, the loader and hitch would stop everytime you cranked the steering hard.

I would guess one of your remotes is dead heading? Can you verify they are in neutral?

/ Case International 585 Hydraulic/Transmission Issues? #12  
So now the bucket works (slowly), the three point hitch works, BUT the power steering can't get the wheels to turn.

When we use the bucket to raise the front end off the ground, the wheels will turn very easily. When we put the wheels back on the ground, we can't get the wheels to turn no matter how we turn the wheel. Any ideas about what this is?!

Could this be indicative of a worn hydraulic pump? It doesn't have the power to raise the bucket quickly anymore, and it can't turn the power steering, but the three point linkage is light so it raises it no problem?

Thanks for any ideas people might have to share.

If your steering is accomplished with a hydraulic ram, the ram may be bypassing through a broken internal seal under load. Or it could be your steering valve if it is not a gearbox. Just some thoughts. ;)

/ Case International 585 Hydraulic/Transmission Issues? #13  
Not likely the seal failed at that exact time but worth checking the pressure in the steering circuit.

If your steering is accomplished with a hydraulic ram, the ram may be bypassing through a broken internal seal under load. Or it could be your steering valve if it is not a gearbox. Just some thoughts. ;)

/ Case International 585 Hydraulic/Transmission Issues?
Hi Everybody-

Thanks for all the responses so far, we truly appreciate it and will be looking through them as soon as we finish fixing the plow truck... clutch went out in her and the snow keeps coming so that's the main priority right now. (And that's after the waterpump went out in the pickup... at least it's all breaking in the winter and not during hay season!)

We will hopefully be able to get back to the Case next week and update folks with what we've found out.

Thanks for all the contributions.

-Ryan

/ Case International 585 Hydraulic/Transmission Issues? #15  
I had a similar problem on my 385. I had slow hydraulics. Changed the filter and lost all hydraulics. Had to replace the pump, now is like a new tractor. Pump is internal located behind the filter. You must remove the MVC the pump is attached to it. Fairly easy to change. Purchased new pump off ebay for $389