Case/ New Holland CVT trans

/ Case/ New Holland CVT trans #21  
My self and another member Jackfrost both bought Boomer 3050's with CVT about, a year and a half back and both of us traded them in within a year due to huge technical problems and dangerous use conditions. We both opted for the standard sized T4.75 with 12 x12 transmissions. Look up either of our tag names for a lot of information. Bottom line for me is no more CVT transmissions on anything below 100 HP. I was serious enough trading the Boomer 3050 in to take a huge financial hit. I have also noticed that my local 2 NH dealers, one who carries over 50 units on his lot, no longer has any with CVT transmissions.

Interesting point of view, I must admit, I've never seen any 4050 Boomers for sale in the UK on ebay in over a year. I know our local councils use them to mow grass etc, but it's rare that I see them.

I use my Boomer with a Cat 2 Protech Post driver, which is about the maximum lift capacity possible for it, it also has a heavy loader on the front, and I take it up and down steep tracks, no problem.
My boomer is up to 808 hours now. So I've put over 400 hours of hard work onto it, including 500+ tons of material hauling over 1/2 mile distances. So much so, all the pins in the lewis loader I have have shattered from using it like a digger and leveller laying down chalk, crushed concrete, sand, clay.

Recent issue I had was not being able to select forward or reverse. I solved it myself, little rocks had wedged under the accelerator which has a potentiometer in it, it was keeping the foot lever depressed enough that it would say RP on the screen.

In terms of moving around, set hand throttle to 1500rpm, then set Cogs power to 35% for hills, in 4WD it goes up very steep hills no problem. I have entrances to paddocks which will 3x wheel the tractor, so you sometimes have to lock the rear diff. It's 50Bhp, don't expect 15 mph going around hills. I get to 7-10mph on relatively flat hilly paddocks, I think it would do 15mph on flat roads no problem at all.

Safety concerns, make sure you put feet on brakes first, then put hand brake on if stopping on steep hills. If the engine switches off, the vehicle will roll backwards by iteself, but idling it will stay still on any hill. In fact, slippery service, I had the issue of the back wheels not turning at all, I had to give it throttle to stop it skidding sideways down the hill, you don't need brakes with the CVT, as it always comes to a complete stop very quickly.

I'll keep this updated if I run into any problems, I'm hoping to get to a 1000 hours without any issues.

Might take some proper videos of it working hard, to show people how good the CVT is with correct use.

boomer-3050-uk.jpg
boomer-3050-with-protech.jpg