CaseIH 4210 trouble with reverse

/ CaseIH 4210 trouble with reverse #1  

BCinMI650

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 650
Hello! here's the situation... I unintentionally won an action on a CaseIH 4210 with a 2255 loader. 16spd shuttle (power?) shift. MWFD No Cab. Tractor has 3500 hours. It has a single hydraulic leak on the loader itself and then one on a line that runs from the hydraulic control valve back and under the tractor. I have no owners manual or Service manual but plan to find them either online or hardcopies.

Tractor fires right up. Drives forward in all gears just fine. but the loader is slow to respond and the tractor will only reverse on perfectly level ground (or down a hill), if there is any sort of pressure against the tractor forget about it. Also to me, without a frame of reference except for a much smaller tractor, it seems like the hydraulic pump is extremely noisey, and it changes pitches when i am in forward vs reverse, cycling the loader, etc. My other tractor is just a little geared tractor, so generally there is mechanical noise and feedback when something isnt right.

Things I have done so far include: Fresh hydraulic oil and filter (when i did this the filter and screen had large chucks of what felt like cardboard gasket material on them - so any ideas on what that would have been would be appreciated), wrapped the couple of leaks with self healing tape to try and just see if there was enough system leak to drop the pressure low enough to not operate any clutches properly and made sure the main clutch was good (Put the tractor in it's highest with the brakes on, and let go of the clutch bogged it and killed it instantly, zero slippage).

I plan to replace the lines that have leaks and replace the hydraulic pump (as well as the filter and oil again, as I plan to this this batch as a sacrificial flush) but what else should I be looking for?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

thank you!

/ CaseIH 4210 trouble with reverse #2  
Is your reverser a lever on dash beside the steering wheel?

That is the 8x8 shuttle shift, you still have a dry clutch...but forward has a clutch pack and reverse a separate one. I suspect your reverse clutch pack is shot if it drives good forward and not in reverse.

You might have found parking brake material in the filter. Someone left the brake on and drove it and it's toast.

/ CaseIH 4210 trouble with reverse
It is a lever on the dash next to the steering wheel yes.

I thought the parking brake was a band that went around something in the bowels of the rear end (purely based on what I saw on an older generation on YouTube). It still holds rock solid, would that be the case of what you described happened? The material almost felt like the material that is on the top and bottom of the hydraulic filter.

Okay so separate clutch packs for forward and reverse, got it, is there a check or test I can do to validate that? I had been operating under the impression it was a potential hydraulic issue not holding pressure on a clutch plate.

/ CaseIH 4210 trouble with reverse #4  
Might not be the parking brake band parts, of course someone might have replaced the band. You are very lucky it still works.

Redpower magazine has some threads on testing the 8x8 trans clutch packs.

/ CaseIH 4210 trouble with reverse
I found those threads. these are absolute gold. Thank you!

Are you 495man over on redpower?

Last edited:
   / CaseIH 4210 trouble with reverse #6  
I found those threads. these are absolute gold. Thank you!

Are you 495man over on redpower?

Glad you found some information. These are nice tractors and to me a far nicer than most of the new stuff in that size range. Yes I can be found over there :)

/ CaseIH 4210 trouble with reverse #7  
It can be brakedisc material that you found .
With the 1st oilchange was the oil milky ?
Water dissolfe that (glue)