Cat. 1 and 2 three point hitches

/ Cat. 1 and 2 three point hitches #11  
Deereman 10,
Have you looked at a Deere 681 tiller with slip clutch and set up for Cat1 and CAT 2. That would be a good match for a 2440 imo.

/ Cat. 1 and 2 three point hitches #12  
Slip clutch normally would protect the tiller if he got too aggressive. The bigger problem is going slow enough in the big JD.

/ Cat. 1 and 2 three point hitches #13  
My 2 cents...
I run a King Kutter 6 foot tiller behind my Cat 2 L5740 with 50 PTO HP.

The tiller specs call for a recommended hp of 35 to 50 on that particular width. I don't think that means that you can't run a more than that because the 48 inch calls for 20 to 35 horsepower and they use the exact same gearbox and gears. I sure it's a power recommendation for good performance of the tiller
I'm sure the gear box and everything else is built to handle more power and the slip clutch is there to take care of the parts anyway.

As far as the hook up, use bushings and go for it I say. I don't know john deere from squat so I can't talk about forward speed and all that. :ashamed:

/ Cat. 1 and 2 three point hitches
Deereman 10,
Have you looked at a Deere 681 tiller with slip clutch and set up for Cat1 and CAT 2. That would be a good match for a 2440 imo.

I have looked at the 681 tiller but... it goes for upwards of $3500 to $4000 where as the King Kutters are between $1500 and $2000. I have also heard from more than one person that King Kutter makes the toughest tillers out there. Tougher than the John Deere's even

/ Cat. 1 and 2 three point hitches #15  
My 2 cents...
I run a King Kutter 6 foot tiller behind my Cat 2 L5740 with 50 PTO HP.

The tiller specs call for a recommended hp of 35 to 50 on that particular width. I don't think that means that you can't run a more than that because the 48 inch calls for 20 to 35 horsepower and they use the exact same gearbox and gears. I sure it's a power recommendation for good performance of the tiller
I'm sure the gear box and everything else is built to handle more power and the slip clutch is there to take care of the parts anyway.

As far as the hook up, use bushings and go for it I say. I don't know john deere from squat so I can't talk about forward speed and all that. :ashamed:

Something everyone should keep in mind about gearbox ratings is that the ratings are derived at the gearboxes maximum soeed rating. When you check the specs on a gearbox and find the rated speed to be 1500 rpm and 60 hp that doesn't mean you can run it 540 rpm with 60 hp applied. More like 25 hp with the higher torque and low speed set up. May seem misleading but you have to look at the big picture.

/ Cat. 1 and 2 three point hitches #16  
I have looked at the 681 tiller but... it goes for upwards of $3500 to $4000 where as the King Kutters are between $1500 and $2000. I have also heard from more than one person that King Kutter makes the toughest tillers out there. Tougher than the John Deere's even

I looked at King Kutter tillers last week and will say it looked good for the money but isn't as well made as the Deere 600 series. Might wan't to check on Machio tillers too.

/ Cat. 1 and 2 three point hitches #17  
I would consider Land Pride. Hundreds on tractor house. Look long enough and see them for less than 2k. And they are manufactured in Kansas USA. :thumbsup: My 2 pennies.

The cat one ISO standard is 26" inside lower link with 18" from lower link to center of top link.
The cat two is 32" with 24" lower Link to top. Most of which has been stated here.

To compensate you may use the lower hole on the tractor top link connector if your tractor is equipped with two or more. With the equipment I use, have had no problem mixing tractors and equipment. I adjust the top link to the working conditions. I use my Deere 5095M (cat 2) on a lot of the same equipment that is used on my Case-IH DX 45 and Kubota B3200HST (both cat 1). I do use bushing as we have a shop where they can be custom fitted. I am a believer in Pat's hitches, especially hooking up to disc mower.

Last edited: