Catalytic convertor box

/ Catalytic convertor box #1  

rcowan

Gold Member
Tractor
Montana 2740M
I have a family friend that that lives on the West Coast that just had her catalytic convertors (2) stolen from her SUV. The bill to replace them was $4k. The LEOs told her that a couple of thieves roll under the SUV and in 2 minutes cut the convertors off and are gone.
She was telling me that a fix is to weld a box around the convertors and weld the box to the frame.

Now she parks the cars out side and the SUV in the garage.

I can see it now on Reality TV "Orange county convertors"!!

RC

/ Catalytic convertor box #2  
A lot of the wrecking yards I pass by to get my southbound load in Northwest Portland use to have signs up that they would buy catalytic converters starting around $400 and up . State
has cracked down on metal salvage though , new laws include they are required to make a copy of your I.D. or Driver's license , license of vehicle , make and color of vehicle .

I use to have a old stop sign that I painted blue with our home address on it , Somebody took it for scrap !:mad:

Fred H.

/ Catalytic convertor box #3  
I'm not sure if a box is a good idea. What's to stop a thief from just cutting the pipe before and after the box and taking the whole thing?

/ Catalytic convertor box #4  
An SUV with $4k of converters on it will have pretty good sound isolation.

One problem with fully boxing in the cats is possibly creating more noise transmission into the passenger compartment - something I could live with, if it was mine, but many consumers expect "limo" quiet in their trucks today.

Another issue is heat - if you are boxing in too much heat, it could be a fire hazard.

Physical security is one layer of protection. A properly engineered box would slow down a thief, but in the end, as long as they have enough battery power in their cutoff saw, they will cut it off.

If it was mine, I'd upgrade the alarm system to use proximity sensors. If it makes sense for the neighbourhood/household, having the truck alarm starting to chirp once someone gets with 5' of it would be a good early warning system. For notification I'd also tie the alarm it into a cell phone(s), email, ........

People run dash cams in their vehicles, for liability reasons, maybe we now need cameras under our vehicles too ?

Sad.

Rgds, D.

/ Catalytic convertor box
Well thats sorta what they do now.
The way I understand it is the box is attached/welded to the frame. That keeps them from using cutters on the pipe.

RC

A lot of the wrecking yards I pass by to get my southbound load in Northwest Portland use to have signs up that they would buy catalytic converters starting around $400 and up . State
has cracked down on metal salvage though , new laws include they are required to make a copy of your I.D. or Driver's license , license of vehicle , make and color of vehicle .

I use to have a old stop sign that I painted blue with our home address on it , Somebody took it for scrap !:mad:

Fred H.

An SUV with $4k of converters on it will have pretty good sound isolation.

Another issue is heat - if you are boxing in too much heat, it could be a fire hazard.

Physical security is one layer of protection. A properly engineered box would slow down a thief, but in the end, as long as they have enough battery power in their cutoff saw, they will cut it off.

If it was mine, I'd upgrade the alarm system to use proximity sensors. If it makes sense for the neighbourhood/household, having the truck alarm starting to chirp once someone gets with 5' of it would be a good early warning system. For notification I'd also tie the alarm it into a cell phone(s), email, ........

People run dash cams in their vehicles, for liability reasons, maybe we now need cameras under our vehicles too ?

Sad.

Rgds, D.

Sad is right that we live in such a society.
I would think that heat would be a real problem.
You are right on the slowing them down. I guess thats the point. The box slows them down. Now it's about 2 minutes and they are gone. I don't know much about stealing but from what I read, if you make the work effort (time) too great, they pass you buy.

I like gorillas and guns

RC

/ Catalytic convertor box #7  
Sad is right that we live in such a society.
I would think that heat would be a real problem.
You are right on the slowing them down. I guess thats the point. The box slows them down. Now it's about 2 minutes and they are gone. I don't know much about stealing but from what I read, if you make the work effort (time) too great, they pass you buy.

I like gorillas and guns

RC

Didn't the lady have a trunk monkey?

Trunk Monkey Compilation - YouTube

James K0UA

Only Ray Stevens has those.:cool2:

Now the Lexus stays out side and the Toyota lives in the garage.

RC

/ Catalytic convertor box #9  
The best thing would be to weld up a cage out of 5/8" Rebar, that way the converter could breath.
Maybe hook up a electric fence controller to the vehicle.
They hit a new dealership in Jacksonville a year or two ago, cut off 12-15 IIRC.

/ Catalytic convertor box #10  
I have a friend that had one stolen so he added a box. It got too hot. He got some raw drill rod and bent it to follow the exhaust pipe about 2 feet before and aft of the converter. Then tacked it all over. He then used a torch to temper it in place. He tried it on an old exhaust and a reciprocating saw never would cut through it. An abrasive saw can still cut it.