Catapolt

/ Catapolt #1  

LTEnterprises

Silver Member
Tractor
2003 Kioti 50C FEL with QA, 72" root grapple, woods ' box blade, kioti 72" tiller,18J mini excavator, 71 GMC dump truck, 4 200 cc dirt bikes, 500cc BMX XUV 4x4, 346 xp killer chain saw, 40x64x12 insulated epoxy coated floor garage
I want to build a catapolt like the romans had to move my used furniture to my lower field to be burned. I am tired of hauling the stuff down there and figure I could just throw them OVER the tree tops (about 75ft high 75 yards from launch point ) Does anyone have plans or a general idea or picture of a biggen ? it will also be used for computer perefials that die. I thnk it would be GREAT. especially from the nieghbors point of view
Thanks

/ Catapolt #2  
<font color=blue>"I thnk it would be GREAT. especially from the nieghbors point of view.</font color=blue>

Well.......if you're wanting to give the neighbors a good show, why use just a plain old catapault? Why not REALLY give them a show and use ROCKETS?? /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Now that would really be a show they wouldn't forget! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Catapolt #3  
You wnat a Trebuchet(SP!!!). It pronounced like 'tray-boo-shay'. Atricles have been written in Scientific American. The guy they wrote about built one. He threww piano's, and even a Mini-Cooper car.

There was also a program on PBS a bit ago. Two teams tried making them with 1600's hand tools. It was rather impressive how these things could hurl. From memory, they were lofting rather large rocks over 100 yards(out of the range of an English Long Bow Archer).

/ Catapolt #4  
Robert, having shot good long bows I assure you the catapult would have to have considerably more range than 100 yds. for the operators to be safe from the English longbow dudes. When I was 7 years old I could stand at the goal posts of the High School football field across the street form our house and shoot arrows past the goal line at the other end. My bow was so long, compared to me, I couldn't hold it near vertical and shoot near horizontal, had to lay ir over many degrees.

When I was a senior in high school in eastern New Mexico, a friend and I built a catapult of sorts, not the twisted rope kind but really a sling shot on steroids. We made our rubber bands out of inner tubes.

(For the under 30 set, tubes were air bladers put inside of tires before tire technology was improved enough to essentially obsolete them.)

We used a multi-part block and tackle to pull it back and a pin to pin it to a line connected to sort of anchor in the ground (To quote the crock hunter, "danger, danger, danger") a dumb idea but we lucked out and lived. We could launch rocks between fist and bowling ball size variable distances depending on rock size, age and condition of rubber bands, angle of elevation, and azimuth. Direction mattered a lot as we used a living mesquite tree for our main frame "Y" structure. Rocks about the size of two fists seemed to work pretty good and had much more range than we anticipated but we narrowly missed the steer and our lives and reputation were spared. We were just shooting in his direction Mr. Rancher we weren't shooting at him, we didn't know it would shoot so far, etc. We would have taken our meals standing up for a week.

Patrick

/ Catapolt #5  
That was a great program! See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/lostempires/trebuchet/>http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/lostempires/trebuchet/</A> for the companion web site.

I believe they used trebuchet's during sieges to launch cows (to spread disease) and captured spies into the city under siege.

I think the guy with the piano and the min-cooper launched some livestock too, but I can't remember the details.

-david

/ Catapolt #6  
This is such a cool idea! We could time it to simultaneously launch furniture all across the country while wearing our TBN hats! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Think of the press coverage!

Pete

/ Catapolt #7  
I knew some guys from Rice that built one of those slingshot devices from bundles of surgical tubing, anchord to some sort of posts. They used a Toyota pickup to cock it and the payload was a weather baloon filled with slush. They stopped after the first shot cleared a multi-story hotel...

-david

/ Catapolt
I love It !!!! I just knew I could get info from you guys...when I get one built I will pos pic's and distances. I'm thinking maybe a lazyboy recliner will be a good test.. I need details PLEEEAAASE somewhrer on this internet must be spec.s and blueprints

/ Catapolt #9  
If you are interested in hurling things, check out this http://www.bustifire.com/pkhurling/ or do a search on pumpkin hurling. I have also heard that in Lewes, Delaware that they have an annual event involving catapults and air cannons, using pumpkins a ammo. I haven't made the event, but the Washington, DC TV stations used to cover the event.

/ Catapolt #10  
Are you kidding me???/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif They actually do build catapaults like this?

Geesh! I thought LTEnterprises was just having a little fun! Oh man, do I feel dense! /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

I knew they had the pumpkin tossers and ones those size. But I had no idea people were actually catapaulting furniture, pianos, and cars!! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif