Cataract surgery and Light Adjustable Lens

/ Cataract surgery and Light Adjustable Lens #1  

Complete Turf Care

Veteran Member
Tractor
2022 Kubota Grand L6060 (no loader), 2017 Kubota Grand L6060, 2011 Kubota L5740 HSTC-3, 1997 Kubota M4700
Today is my annual eye doctor appointment and I am considering Lens replacement surgery. I have astigmatism and cataracts are starting to develop.

My insurance will pay for basic cataract surgery, but there are options for improved lenses.

Has anyone had experience with Light Adjustable Lens? These are lenses that are implanted into the eye just like regular cataract lens replacement, but the new lens can be 'fine tuned' to achieve almost perfect vision, after the initial surgery. This is done by treating the new lens with ultra violet light, after it has been installed.

Seems like a good option, but it is still a fairly new technology.

/ Cataract surgery and Light Adjustable Lens #2  
With newer technology you just have to talk with your doctor and get the best qualified advice you can. Don't go with random internet chatter.

It is definitely wise to pay the extra and get the best option. This will be the vision you have for the rest of your life. I went with the extended range and now have 20/15 vision and only need reading glasses in low light.

Astigmatism probably isn't a big issue. Make sure you confirm with you doctor if you have it. When I was young I had astigmatism and could only wear hard contacts. When I was going to have the cataract surgery my doctor explained that astigmatism often goes away as you age and I could have been wearing soft contacts for years.

/ Cataract surgery and Light Adjustable Lens #3  
I had both eyes done last January with multi-focal lenses at Key-Whitman Eye Center in Dallas. Probably the largest eye center in my area. I don't remember those lenses being an option, but I just ran into an acquaintance that just had the light adjustable lenses done at the same place mine were done, so they must be using them now.

I've been happy with my multi-focals, although I do get some halo's and starbursts at night with certain lights while driving. But it hasn't been an issue at all. I do a lot of night hunting with thermal scopes and such and it hasn't caused any issues with that at all.

I can do most daily routines without glasses, but if I'll be reading small print or a book, I'll use some cheap 1.25 readers.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

/ Cataract surgery and Light Adjustable Lens
After visiting with my doctor, we have decided to wait until Medicare kicks in before doing the surgery. I will turn 65 in April of 2025 and I think I can wait that long. This will save me the $4500 deductible I currently have. However, the added cost for the newer lenses is about $5000 (for both eyes) and Medicare nor my current insurance will cover that extra cost.

She recommended that I not go with the Light Adjustabe Lenses because they are still new technology and long term results are not known. I also think she recommended against these, because she does not install them.

She did offer a choice between a PanOptix lens and a Vivity lens. I will research those more before making a decision.

/ Cataract surgery and Light Adjustable Lens #5  
She recommended that I not go with the Light Adjustabe Lenses because they are still new technology and long term results are not known. I also think she recommended against these, because she does not install them.
I'm always apprehensive on going all-in on any new technology that is new or version 1.0. The initial adopters are no more than testers that pay for the privilege of finding all the unfixed bugs or problems.

/ Cataract surgery and Light Adjustable Lens #6  
I don’t know the name of the lenses, but My wife opted for one close up focused lens, and the other side is for distance vision
The end result is that she can’t see either worth a darn. She regrets the choice now, as she has to wear glasses for most of the things she does during the day

I went with. Distance lenses, which work well, but can’t read most print without reading glasses. I am happy with that choice

/ Cataract surgery and Light Adjustable Lens #7  
Astigmatism probably isn't a big issue. Make sure you confirm with you doctor if you have it. When I was young I had astigmatism and could only wear hard contacts. When I was going to have the cataract surgery my doctor explained that astigmatism often goes away as you age and I could have been wearing soft contacts for years.
I have astigmatism. In the mid 90's I opted for soft contacts called "Toric Lenses". They're weighted at the bottom and can orient to your eyes. The biggest problem is that if one naps with the contacts in, they stick to the eyes out of focus.

I never found the to be particularly comfortable, then since the early 2000's, I started wearing safety glasses (no side shields) all the time. For my way of life, it is a good idea to have at least something in front of the eyeballs.

I suppose eventually I'll need cataract lenses, and will choose whatever gives the best performance.

/ Cataract surgery and Light Adjustable Lens #8  
I don’t know the name of the lenses, but My wife opted for one close up focused lens, and the other side is for distance vision
The end result is that she can’t see either worth a darn. She regrets the choice now, as she has to wear glasses for most of the things she does during the day

I went with. Distance lenses, which work well, but can’t read most print without reading glasses. I am happy with that choice

I understand some people like the mismatched correction. I would suggest anyone considering it first get a pair of contacts that way. I tried that and felt like I was on drugs - really bad drugs.

/ Cataract surgery and Light Adjustable Lens #9  
A friend went with the Panoptic lenses then went home and bailed hay. All that money and he has had a lot of problems.

I "opted" for distance after a lifetime of near sightedness. I had no line safety glasses with no side shield made up.

I may not be able to find fly dung in a jar of pepper as my supervisor would say when I worked in quality assurance but i do okay.