Cataracts and other visual concerns!

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #81  
Do you know why so much change so fast?
No. However it might be related to an inhaled steroid and Tamsulosin, AKA Flomax. I recently acquired adult onset asthma and so was prescribed the inhaler. I'm kinda stumped that the right eye changed so fast while the left just has a very minor cataract. Anyway, the eye doc said that Tamsulosin is implicated in cataract development.
Eric

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #83  
My eye doc said they weren't bad enough yet..
My eye doc told me the same thing. She said insurance would not cover the surgery.

I asked What if I paid it all out of pocket? It would be about $10,000. I told her I spend that much on deer hunting each year.

She said, 'but it's not medically necessary' I said 'neither is a boob lift or a tummy tuck. But people do those every day.'

After all that, she agreed to do it, but then I decided that I'm about a year away from medicare, and she says that by then, my eyes will be bad enough to be covered by medicare. So we plan to do the surgery next summer.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns!
Yesterday my cataract surgery was completed by R & R of the right lens.

This morning I went to my optometrist for a follow-up of the surgery and the everything was fine and I am seeing 20/20 at distance but is subject to some change in the first 30 days.

My left eye was set for near vision. The first day after the surgery I was reading 20/25 and today 5 weeks later I read the 20/20 line with ease.

This is the same vision I had before cataracts. I could have went for 20/20 at near or far but I will get glasses to give 20/20 in both eyes at the same time .

The advantage of this mono vision set up if I am in a care facility someday I won't have to keep up with glasses and I can see something off at the distance or if somebody sticks something in my face. :)

Colors are so bright now because I didn't realize how my lens had gotten so dingy.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #85  
I'm going in for my evaluation on Monday. My sister is having her second eye done next Tuesday. She's very satisfied with the results, actually able to read without glasses.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #86  
A safe and speedy recovery to all of you to great vision!

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #88  
How many here less than 65 have got them fixed?
It happens.

Yesterday 13 on schedule...

Youngest 62 and the rest 68 to 78 in age.

Some 60 year olds look 75 and some 75 look 60...

Many "Forced" to come for drivers license reasons.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #89  
My optometrist said my eye doc was "old school" and likely not approve with my condition. Boy was she right. I'm going to ask her recommendation.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns!
This explains mono vision cataract surgery option that I selected since that was the way I was seeing just prior to cataract surgery. I was nearsighted most all of my life but over the last 10 years when my lenses started changing both eyes did not need correcting lens but over the past few years the left eye had gone nearsighted again.

I do plan to get a basic pair of glasses that gives me 20/20 at near and at far at the same time even if I just keep them in the glove compartment in case one eye got injured and had to be patched for a while.

While this is working out well in my case each one should listen to their vision healthcare providers options.

Last edited: