Catastrophic Failure

/ Catastrophic Failure #71  
It may be worthwhile bringing it to another welding shop to see if they can repair it. I worked with a guy once who could repair cast iron cracks when everyone else said it couldn't be done. No disrespect to your welder but another opinion could save you some money.

/ Catastrophic Failure #72  
I doubt that it will be cost effective to have that properly welded. To get an effective full penetration weld will at a minimum require the cylinder to be remachined and likely welded from inside the cylinder also. I would think 4-5 hrs easy with no guarantee that it will hold.

/ Catastrophic Failure
Well, after contacting nearly a dozen salvage yards, only 2 have the case, the second one wants $450 for just the case and $650 with the internals :eek:. I decided to bite the bullet and called MyersWardTractor.com in California and told them I wanted the part.

$350 for the part, $75 freight and $100 core charge (recovered when I return the old part).

/ Catastrophic Failure #74  
I don't understand why they want the old part back when its ruined. It doesn't make sense.

Where in SE Iowa are you? I'm located in Macomb Il.

/ Catastrophic Failure
I don't understand why they want the old part back when its ruined. It doesn't make sense.

Where in SE Iowa are you? I'm located in Macomb Il.

Makes no sense to me either, I'm going to try negotiating it with them when they call tomorrow. My guess is if you don't return the part, they're up $100.

I'm in Burlington, how much snow did you end up with last night? We got about an inch of frozen slush.

/ Catastrophic Failure #76  
Seems to me I'd want a new case, not a welded or junk one- the junk yard one has a real risk of the same thing happening if there has been any excessive pressure inside it prior to it being junked for other reasons. Not to say it has had a presence of overpressure, BUT do you really want to put a used case and new PRV in your tractor only to have it fail (possibly) not too far down the road? It seems like a $ and frustration nightmare waiting to happen. Then you have to do the same thing all over again?!
I'd want to go with new and peace of mind for the extra expense. JMHO
BTW, that's why they are called junk yards. Your decision- obviously, good luck with whatever you conclude- just playing devil's advocate here to level the choices out.

/ Catastrophic Failure #77  
Seems to me I'd want a new case, not a welded or junk one- the junk yard one has a real risk of the same thing happening if there has been any excessive pressure inside it prior to it being junked for other reasons. Not to say it has had a presence of overpressure, BUT do you really want to put a used case and new PRV in your tractor only to have it fail (possibly) not too far down the road? It seems like a $ and frustration nightmare waiting to happen. Then you have to do the same thing all over again?!
I'd want to go with new and peace of mind for the extra expense. JMHO
BTW, that's why they are called junk yards. Your decision- obviously, good luck with whatever you conclude- just playing devil's advocate here to level the choices out.

I agree, and with any luck Kubota has beefed that area up on the new parts.

/ Catastrophic Failure #78  
Makes no sense to me either, I'm going to try negotiating it with them when they call tomorrow. My guess is if you don't return the part, they're up $100.

I'm in Burlington, how much snow did you end up with last night? We got about an inch of frozen slush.

We got about the same amount of snow. It came down really hard for a while but the ground was so warm a lot of it melted. Sounds like we may get quite a bit of snow tommorow. Good luck with the tractor.

/ Catastrophic Failure #79  
I agree, and with any luck Kubota has beefed that area up on the new parts.

Agreed. I would even go a bit further and start talking to the Kubota people to see if this is the case. Or what they have changed on newer versions to keep it from happening. You want to fix it better then new if you can.

/ Catastrophic Failure
Agreed. I would even go a bit further and start talking to the Kubota people to see if this is the case. Or what they have changed on newer versions to keep it from happening. You want to fix it better then new if you can.

I gave a great deal of thought to new vs used, but in the end I bought used. The biggest factor is cost, used is half price and I was able to negotiate the core charge from $100 to $25, return shipping via USPS is $28 so I'll just eat the core charge.

I strongly believe now that the failure was due to over pressure from a failed safety relief not from over pushing with the 3pt (they hadn't pushed with the 3pt at all the day of the failure), even a new part would fail if the safety fails. Also,someone suggested that there was a reason they're called "junk" yards, well I've bought alot of parts from junk yards in my life and just because a vehicle is junked doesn't mean every part of it is junk, IMHO.

That's it for now