Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure #11  
What's the other eye look like? Does it show any signs of failing soon? I'm not sure if I would weld a new one on not knowing if the other end was going to hold up. You could take the cylinder apart and weld on new ends on each side, maybe something stronger.

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure #12  
Not a big deal to weld on a new one, just run it all the way out and cover the whole rod with wet rags to keep the seals cool and the rod spatter free. Aaron Z

Agreed. :thumbsup:

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure #13  
You did not say the weight of the stump grinder, only good thing it was not the 2200lb chipper.
I too wonder the condition of the tractor side end.
For that size tractor it should be CAT II, not CAT I
Have you contacted seller about replacement?

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure #14  
Sure glad no damage was done to the tractor; glass, fenders, etc! You've been through that before.

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure #15  
Stretched as that eye is I do not think it is forged or hardened. Perhaps it missed a step in the welding process.
Generally a hardened or forged part would snap and not elongate. Might be a warrantee case.
Do a spark test using a grinder.

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure #16  
Whilst rare, it's not entirely uncommon for hydraulic cylinder eyes to let go - however when they let go it's usually a clean break from a stress crack or porosity in the metal.

As other have suggested the elongation/stretch indicates either a manufacturing &/or design error - and as the component was not fit for purpose, potentially under our (Australian) consumer laws as a safety issue, cause for invoking a mandatory recall by the manufacturer/importer

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure
Here's a closeup of the metal surfaces that broke.

hydtoplink3.jpg

I too am very glad it didn't happen with the 2200 lbs chipper attached! My stump grinder weigh a little over 1000 lbs. My Bush Hog 3209 cutter weigh as much as the chipper, maybe even a little more. I also recently got a Valby 3pt log grapple that could have put a lot of stress on the top link when lifting logs off the ground.

The top link is a 3" cylinder and cat2 specs as far as the pin dimensions, etc.

I did contact the seller and a replacement is on its way at no charge. It also incorporates a different design with beefier ends.

srs, yes, I certainly have been though a lot worse than this before!

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure #19  
I did contact the seller and a replacement is on its way at no charge. It also incorporates a different design with beefier ends.
Who is the seller? Sounds like a good company to do business with.

Aaron Z

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure #20  
just one of those "flukes" that happen now & then. good to hear company is standing behind it. Are they sending complete new cylinder or just the rod? If it is complete cylinder and they don't want the old one back, someone on here might be interested in taking it off your hands for nominal fee and weld a new end on it. Not me though, I've got one.