Caulking/Sealing Concrete Expansion Joints

/ Caulking/Sealing Concrete Expansion Joints
That's why I suggested Trex earlier.

And that sounds like a good suggestion, too. I've no personal experience with Trex, but what I've read about it sounded good, and I do have a little table saw. Of course, I think that would be more expensive than the backing rod, but I don't know how much more. In fact, I'm not even sure it would be more expensive. And I don't know which would last longer, although I'm inclined to think the Trex would.

/ Caulking/Sealing Concrete Expansion Joints #12  
And that sounds like a good suggestion, too. I've no personal experience with Trex, but what I've read about it sounded good, and I do have a little table saw. Of course, I think that would be more expensive than the backing rod, but I don't know how much more. In fact, I'm not even sure it would be more expensive. And I don't know which would last longer, although I'm inclined to think the Trex would.

What about ripping down some pressure treated 1x? Wouldnt have to go the full depth of the slab if the existing nails were a problem.

/ Caulking/Sealing Concrete Expansion Joints #13  
ContractorsToolSupply.com sells backer rod of different sizes by the foot.

BestMaterials.com sells Novalink self-leveling sealant designed for your situation. It can be used on cracks up to 2 inches wide with proper backer rod placement. This web site has excellent technical data and installation bulletins on how to use the Novalink products.

Thanks, Chris.

I want to thank everyone for the information, suggestions, and advice. I think it's all good information, and I've decided what to try when it gets dry. We've had an inch of rain since about 2 a.m. and more in the forecast. However, while it wasn't raining, I went to Home Depot and they have the Sika products. So I bought 3/4" backing rod and some of the self-levelling sealant. So when it gets dry, I'll give it a try. I did earlier say there were "nails" in the crevice and with better light today, I found that's actually pieces of the concrete reinforcing steel mesh that they used instead of rebar.

/ Caulking/Sealing Concrete Expansion Joints #16  
Hi Bird

Why not just get a few bags of masonary cement mix (not the gravel) think block/brick and fill em up? Don't think you get enough frost to crack or they make an epoxy type concrete also that flexs some.

It wouldn't surprise me if the mortar mix wouldn't work just fine, but I think this Sika self-levelling stuff is likely what I saw at that outlet mall and I liked the looks of it. I think I've already bought enough backing rod (well, actually they call it "backer rod" instead) to do the job, but I'll have to buy more of the sealer if I like it. I've got a 3' gap where the sidewalk goes off the side of the driveway that I intend to do first and if I like that, I'll go buy more of the sealer for the bigger job.

It may be a week or more before I get around to doing it, though. We've got to go to a birthday party for a short time, at least, this afternoon, then a daughter is bringing her 3 dogs this evening for us to keep a week, I plan to go to the police pistol range to qualify Monday, and we've got family coming for Thanksgiving dinner here, so I've got to do some cooking and set up the extra tables and chairs next week.:D If we get some dry, sunny weather though I'll probably at least do that 3' job to see how it looks.

/ Caulking/Sealing Concrete Expansion Joints #18  
Because it is an expansion joint. You want it to be able to expand. Or it will crack(well, most all concrete will crack anyways; it is not if, it is when...

Hi Bird

Why not just get a few bags of masonary cement mix (not the gravel) think block/brick and fill em up? Don't think you get enough frost to crack or they make an epoxy type concrete also that flexs some.

/ Caulking/Sealing Concrete Expansion Joints #19  
Sika's good stuff. It should serve you well. Make sure you clean the joints well. Remove all dust that could prevent good bonding to the concrete. I usually pressurewash

/ Caulking/Sealing Concrete Expansion Joints #20  
Bird may not get frost heave down in texas, but as I recall there's enough of a temp swing between summer and winter to require an expansion joint. Though I bet it could be cut down from 3/4 if necessary