CAV DPA injector pump - no fuel to injectors after bleeding

/ CAV DPA injector pump - no fuel to injectors after bleeding #31  
Thank you so much for responding.

This is on a power unit that we used several years ago. It was working properly then. It has been out of the weather since then, but we have not started it. We attempted to get it going recently and can get no fuel to injectors. I got a kit, tore the pump down and resealed it. I took about a million pics to make sure I reassembled correctly. Pump was very clean inside and there was very little varnish. I still cleaned and lubed everything well. A guy in New Zealand did a very nice video on YouTube. It was 58 minutes long. He called his shop "Bundy Bears Shed" and along with disassembly and reassembly, he showed how to bench test it. His video showed fuel squirting out each port as he spun pump by hand. I get good flow coming out of the bleed port on the side of the pump, but can't even get a drop coming out of the four ports going to the injectors. I removed the gov. plate as an assembly and didn't disassemble.

I can't afford the $1,000.00 these local injector shops usually charge. I am stuck. Any more suggestions?

/ CAV DPA injector pump - no fuel to injectors after bleeding #32  
Did you take the head & rotor apart?? THATS where the pumping plungers are.. behind the rollers & shoes.
THATS what pumps the fuel.. I'll bet money they're stuck..
I watched the Bundy Bear video.. I had a good laugh.. a lot of his methods are "alittle" back woods, putting it mildly.
BUT>> if it gets the job done, I guess that's all that matters.
There are a few things that will contribute to a no start condition.. transfer pump assembly, stuck mv, stuck plungers.. shut off bar, throttle reassembly.. the list goes on..
If you wanna contact me.. feel free.. just click on my screen name & send me a msg..

/ CAV DPA injector pump - no fuel to injectors after bleeding #33  
AAAHHH.. the plot thickens.. I "think" I know what happened..
You see the spring is in the #3 hole.. When you put it back on.. the spring HAS TO BE in the center of the lever..
Or actually visa versa.. the lever HAS TO BE IN THE MIDDLE of the spring coils.. NOT on the outside of it..
Give THAT a try..

I know this is an old thread but I have found it useful and thought I would add this;

At first I did not understand what TPG was saying here until I removed the cover from my pump... 20190420_151107.jpg

Last edited:
   / CAV DPA injector pump - no fuel to injectors after bleeding #34  
Yeah, u got it..
MOST of my repair conversations are like THAT.. U may not know what I'm taking about sitting at your computer, but as soon as u put your hands on 1, u fully understand what I'm talking about..
I'll run thru a repair "How to" the best I can 500 miles away.. but its up to u to go put your hands on it..
Its not uncommon to get 1000 questions BEFORE someone actually goes & grabs a wrench..
& even then, u gotta lead them off the couch..
With a few wrenches & can guide almost anyone thru a diagnostic & possibly a repair.. the ones that get me frustrated are> the ones who start a project like this BLIND & expect me to work miracles 1000 miles away, tapping on a computer.. lol

/ CAV DPA injector pump - no fuel to injectors after bleeding #35  
.....Its not uncommon to get 1000 questions BEFORE someone actually goes & grabs a wrench..
& even then, u gotta lead them off the couch.......

Bahahaha.. too much of that these days!

But seriously, thank you for taking the time to put up so much great information to help. It's appreciated. :drink:

/ CAV DPA injector pump - no fuel to injectors after bleeding #36  
I have a very similar problem.My JD 2240 has a CAV DPA that was leaking at both stop and trottle shafts. I got the complete rebuild kit, went thru the whole pump. Put it on the tractor, got everything tightened up, bled the system. Bled the injectors and it fired up. I had to turn the idle down a little but it ran like a top. My son and I moved some equipment around, drove it several hours, shut it down. It sat 4 days, now it's doing exactly what Mungus' is doing.

/ CAV DPA injector pump - no fuel to injectors after bleeding #37  
Hi how did you guys get on, I’m having the same problem,
resealed the pump, as mine was leaking diesel into the engine, but used to start easy. But can’t get fuel to the injectors as well, pump has been bled, I feel it’s something simple I’ve missed.even after cranking for a while, and remove the feed at the pump, it’s dry.
hope you guys got yours sorted, and give me a pointer, cheers

/ CAV DPA injector pump - no fuel to injectors after bleeding #38  
The most common thing is::
Not getting the shut off bar engaged w the nub on the shaft..
double check that and u might get your answer ..

/ CAV DPA injector pump - no fuel to injectors after bleeding #39  
Cool thanks for your reply, I thought that pulled pump off again and checked that , I can hear it if I move the lever back and forth.
could it be something in the hydraulic head, causing no fuel to come out

/ CAV DPA injector pump - no fuel to injectors after bleeding #40  
Everything relys on fuel pressure.. there’s the piston in the end plate the has to move freely, then there’s the pumping plungers in the head and rotor that have to move in and out..
Then there’s the cam ring that has to go in the correct rotation..
There’s 101 things IT COULD BE.. that ur not gonna get from a utube video.