CDL licenses....

/ CDL licenses.... #11  
lamarbur, Sorry to get you hot under the collar (don't mean too), but you are right in that the rule book doesn't specifically say they're exempted. Page 1-3 explains what vehicles require a cdl and 1-4 explains what endorsements are required. Page 1-4 under air brakes states: "Air brakes restriction.
Drivers of CDL vehicles with air brakes must pass
the required tests on air brakes. Drivers who do not
take and pass these tests are restricted on the CDL
to non-air brake vehicles." I did the assume thing and figured if a cdl isn't required then there would be no air brake endorsement required. Obviously I may have interrpreted this incorrectly, but it seemed reasonable to me. It seems kind of odd to me that a truck under 26000 wouldn't require a cdl, but would require an air brake endorsement. You do have me curious though, so I'll try and catch a friend of mine who's an ex washington state patrol trooper and see if he can shed some light.

/ CDL licenses....
I took the test when it first was proposed in Mass. One hundred questions that first one. Passed no problem. About four months go by, and I get a letter that all CDL tests were now the same regardless where in the US one lived. I believe 50 for general and 20 air, and 20 for each endorsement thereafter.. I suppose to some, it could seem vague. Once you go through those rules a few times, one will pick up on, air brake requires CDL regardless of overall GVW of vehicle. It is this simple.The head salesman was advertising under CDL req until they walked into my father in laws and said different. I see ads every single day, truck type so and so, 23,gvw, AB. PS etc, etc. AB (air brake) is not exempt and therefore it is illegal or at a minimum misleading ads.

/ CDL licenses.... #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I was just curious to know if you drove a 5 yrd. dump truck, if you needed your CDL?)</font>

I have a Class A with air brake endorsement for my day job. I have a 7 axle unit (3 tractor and 4 trailer that has a gross weight rating of 121,000 pounds). You could haul a lot of compact tractors on my truck.

See attachment, you don't want to make the payment, but you can look anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Daryl
Forage Services L.P.

Attachments

• 245176-myoffice.jpg
    245176-myoffice.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 237
   / CDL licenses....
Hey 3050, did you ever forget to lift the tag axles up when turning? Bet that would scrub the tires big time! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ CDL licenses.... #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hey 3050, did you ever forget to lift the tag axles up when turning? Bet that would scrub the tires big time! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif )</font>

If you don't lift them, you'd be looking at the side of the trailer real quick. Actually, when loaded, trying to go around a corner will stall the engine so there is a lot of resistance considering the Caterpillar 525 E model that I have puts out 1850 pounds feet of torque. I have a 1900 series driveline and 44,000 rears on hendrickson air ride. The tractor is double framed and all axles are controlled in the cab via air valves. The tractor has air/weight gages that tell me just how much weight I have on each of my axles as I go down the road. The lead axle is 11 feet behind the rear drive axle and there is 10' 1" spacing on all other axles to make the federal bridge formula. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Daryl
Forage Services L.P.

/ CDL licenses.... #17  
A 26-wheeler is a big truck for sure and air brakes are great, but the truck in the picture was a 30-wheeler and he apparently used his air brakes too much. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif That little hill behind him is known as "Beaver Slide" on the haul road to Prudhoe Bay. I don't remember for sure, but I think it's 7 miles of 12% downhill. I was driving that little F250 Super Duty with the flat bed and a 5-speed manual transmission you can see in front of him and I came all the way down that hill in 3rd gear and riding the brakes a lot more than I wanted to. If you look closely at the lower left picture, you could still see a little fire through the hole in the bumper.

Attachments

• 245239-30-wheeler.jpg
    245239-30-wheeler.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 244
   / CDL licenses.... #18  
Wow, you guys can run 121K legally? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif In my state 105.5K is the max unless you have a non reduceable load and special permits.

/ CDL licenses.... #19  
Even more than that (160 I think)and we have the chuck-holes, ruts, ripples, cracks and general cr@p roads to prove it!

Nick

/ CDL licenses.... #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A 26-wheeler is a big truck for sure and air brakes are great, but the truck in the picture was a 30-wheeler and he apparently used his air brakes too much.)</font>

He must not had a "Jake Brake". I have a "Jake" Jacobs Retarding Device on my Western Star and only use my service brakes for completing a stop. The brake is electronically controlled by the computer on the engine. By the way, I have Wabco Antiloc Brakes on all axles and you can literally stand on the brakes on a wet road and the rig will stop straight. I've tried it in a big parking lot and it works.

Daryl
Forage Services L.P.