CEILING FAN LIGTHS BLINK THEN DIE IN TWO MONTHS

/ CEILING FAN LIGTHS BLINK THEN DIE IN TWO MONTHS #1  

Brimfield

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3800
I have a pair of Hunter ceiling fans that are 20 years old. In the past few years they have started to burn out bulbs in a few months. They always start by blinking intermittent blinking then they go out. I have taken down the light portion of the fan to see what might be going on. youtube videos suggest that a current limiter could be bad. Problem is that I do not see a current limiter as described in our lights. I was thinking of eliminating the pull cord light switch and there is a wire that goes from the light switch to a blue wire labeled for light that goes into the harness. We have tied all kind of bulbs but we now use LED 100 watt equivalent bulbs Cree was the last ones and we got 2 months and 3 OF 6 are dead already.

light harness.jpg

/ CEILING FAN LIGTHS BLINK THEN DIE IN TWO MONTHS #2  
Incandescent bulbs can do that as they fail due to vibration. A filament can break and reestablish connection before the final break renders it useless. I rarely use my light fixtures in fans - for other reasons. If you've not done so, try LED bulbs in your fan fixture. It is possible you have a defective dimmer circuit being used on your light fixture. I do have dimmers on a couple of light / fan combinations. That may not be your issue but I could see it being a problem. If you're using too high a wattage bulb it's possible it's not getting adequate cooling airflow. Your problem description lacks for detail which limits my suggestions to supposition.

/ CEILING FAN LIGTHS BLINK THEN DIE IN TWO MONTHS #3  
Incandescent bulbs can do that as they fail due to vibration. A filament can break and reestablish connection before the final break renders it useless. I rarely use my light fixtures in fans - for other reasons. If you've not done so, try LED bulbs in your fan fixture. It is possible you have a defective dimmer circuit being used on your light fixture. I do have dimmers on a couple of light / fan combinations. That may not be your issue but I could see it being a problem. If you're using too high a wattage bulb it's possible it's not getting adequate cooling airflow. Your problem description lacks for detail which limits my suggestions to supposition.

We have tied all kind of bulbs but we now use LED 100 watt equivalent bulbs Cree was the last ones and we got 2 months and 3 OF 6 are dead already.

Are you using any kind of controller, remote, dimmer?

/ CEILING FAN LIGTHS BLINK THEN DIE IN TWO MONTHS #4  
My three 26 year old Hunter fans are still going strong and rarely burn bulbs. Our fans have a 60 w max bulb and one fan uses 60w eq LED bulbs. I wonder.... are your bulbs over heating? Agree^^^...a bad dimmer switch?

/ CEILING FAN LIGTHS BLINK THEN DIE IN TWO MONTHS
WE don't have any remote or dimmer on the lights and the bulbs are LED so no over heating. The ceiling fans work just fine. I have thought of replacing the bulb sockets just to see if that works but the sockets look fine right now.

/ CEILING FAN LIGTHS BLINK THEN DIE IN TWO MONTHS #6  
Maybe the sockets are at fault. A weakened center contact can cause your problem.

/ CEILING FAN LIGTHS BLINK THEN DIE IN TWO MONTHS #7  
I have a pair of Hunter ceiling fans that are 20 years old. In the past few years they have started to burn out bulbs in a few months. They always start by blinking intermittent blinking then they go out. I have taken down the light portion of the fan to see what might be going on. youtube videos suggest that a current limiter could be bad. Problem is that I do not see a current limiter as described in our lights. I was thinking of eliminating the pull cord light switch and there is a wire that goes from the light switch to a blue wire labeled for light that goes into the harness. We have tied all kind of bulbs but we now use LED 100 watt equivalent bulbs Cree was the last ones and we got 2 months and 3 OF 6 are dead already.

View attachment 703640
Is there a little rectangular thing under there with two leads coming out of it? Many hunter fans have some sort of limiter for voltage or wattage or something or other in them that frequently goes out. There's a bunch of u-tube videos on it. Anyhow, look for those videos. Specify hunter fan lights not working, and you'll find them and the repairs people have made to get them working correctly.

Hope that helps.

/ CEILING FAN LIGTHS BLINK THEN DIE IN TWO MONTHS #8  
Do yourself a favor and replace them.I had 3 hunter fans installed for 25 years one night when I was working my wife called and said the living room fan was smoking & burnt wire smell I told her to shut it down.I replaced all 3 I figured I got great use out of them.

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / CEILING FAN LIGTHS BLINK THEN DIE IN TWO MONTHS #9  
Do yourself a favor and replace them.I had 3 hunter fans installed for 25 years one night when I was working my wife called and said the living room fan was smoking & burnt wire smell I told her to shut it down.I replaced all 3 I figured I got great use out of them.
I had that happen to one of mine within a few years of buying them. I replaced a small electrical part and they have been good since then.

/ CEILING FAN LIGTHS BLINK THEN DIE IN TWO MONTHS #10  
I had a ceiling fan that started burning out its candelabra bulbs when I changed them out to high output LEDs. Turns out that you can't mount high output candelabra LED bulbs in places where the socket is on top because the bulbs overheat. Do you have them, or regular bulbs? Try a lower wattage in any case. Mine worked fine when I put 40w equivalents in.