Century 3035 / Branson 3520 PTO will not shift into either 540 or 1000 RPM

/ Century 3035 / Branson 3520 PTO will not shift into either 540 or 1000 RPM #1  

CEN3035

Tractor
Century 3035
I am having an issue getting my PTO to shift into gear. In fact I broke the arm (PTO Rod) that goes between the shift lever and the actuator trying to get it to shift. After the arm broke the shift lever moves up & down freely, so it has to do with the PTO Shift Lever Shaft or something attached to it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

/ Century 3035 / Branson 3520 PTO will not shift into either 540 or 1000 RPM #2  
3520 pto diagram.JPG
3520 pto lever diagram.JPG

these are two of the breakdowns of how that goes together on your model

/ Century 3035 / Branson 3520 PTO will not shift into either 540 or 1000 RPM
My PTO shift lever shaft will spin if I turn it with channel locks. The shifter lever (22), incorrectly labeled as 26 in the diagram does not turn when I spin the shaft with the channel locks. Should it? I assume the two reamer bolts couple the shifter lever to the shaft, is that correct? My reamer bolts appear to be seated properly.

/ Century 3035 / Branson 3520 PTO will not shift into either 540 or 1000 RPM #4  
if your bolts that hold the # 22 to the shaft are secure and that shaft wont move in any direction, its frozen inside and you'll only be able to free that up ( or worst case remove the broken parts) by opening up your top case for a visual inspection.

I made the assumption (I know) that the PTO Shifter Lever is coupled to the Shift Lever Shaft by the Reamer Bolts, and that the Shaft is connected to the Shift Assy Arm via the Spring Pin, is that not correct? If it is not correct, how is the Shifter Lever coupled to the Shaft or is it. What does the Shifter Lever actuate if it is not coupled to the Shaft? What is the purpose of the Reamer Bolts? As I stated in a previous post, the Shift Lever Shaft will spin freely by hand, but the Shift Lever does not spin with it, which leads me to believe that the Lever is not coupled to the Shaft. If it is supposed to be coupled, is it possible that my Reamer Bolts sheared off at the OD of the Shaft. If I can spin the shaft, what would cause the Shift Lever to be frozen? The fact that I can spin the shaft also indicates to me that the Shift Assy Arm is most likely broken, is that a fair assessment, I don't want to assume again.

I have taken both Reamer Bolts out and the PTO Shift Lever will now rotate around the shaft. I thought that the Shift Lever was coupled to the Shaft but it appears that there is a bushing or perhaps the Shift Assy Arm that the Shift Lever is coupled to via the Reamer Bolts. Can anyone explain what is connected to what in the assembly, the diagrams that Asteral posted do not make it clear as to what connects to what.

Just to keep this going with what I am learning:
I believe that the Shift Assy Arm extends outside of the case and that the Shift Lever is coupled to it via the Reamer Bolts. The diagram above shows a Roll Pin going through the Shift Assy Arm into the Shift Lever Shaft, I do not see that Roll Pin. What the diagram refers to as a Seal Cap, I believe is an external retaining ring that goes into the groove on the Shift Assy Arm portion that extends outside of the case to keep that from sliding off into the case. I have been able to rotate my Shift Lever with a little persuasion with a hammer and wood block. It still will not rotate by hand. I have confirmed that I can get the PTO into the off position and both speed positions by using the hammer method. I am guessing that I have a rust issue and that I am going to have to persuade it back and forth several times to get it to free up. I will keep you posted.

On a side note, I noticed I was having a similar issue with the front wheel engagement lever. A couple of raps with the hammer and it freed up.

As a final note, I have a functioning PTO again. I do believe that it was most likely rust, but I can not say for certain.

Last edited:
   / Century 3035 / Branson 3520 PTO will not shift into either 540 or 1000 RPM #8  
I'd be carefully about rapping your levers with a hammer unless the lever is disconnected from the linkage.