cessna pump

/ cessna pump #1  

chainsawnut

Tractor
Not yet
hey guys still slowly collecting for my splitter,kinda came to a hault for a while was saving to buy one but with xmas etc we know what happens to savings.
Anyway just scored another pump I have been trying to find info on it it is made by cessna and marked us patent #2809592.
All I can find is some old posts on google of people looking for one or parts as they were used on tractors.
It still has red plastic bungs in the ports so I have no idea if it is new or recond and whether it is single or 2 stage
It looks like it will take a pulley so that will eliminate expense of lovejoy couplers and an engine pump mount.
It was amongst a late friends bits and pieces he had been aquiring to use on his ferro cement boat he was building
so any info on the suitability of this would be appreciated or any better links to it's use than I have already found cheers and thanks

/ cessna pump #2  
If your pump looks like this, the number should be stamped on the mounting flange and have a number like this pump number.#25500xxx The X's mean the type shaft, size, and direction of rotation. There may be an arrow somewhere on the pump.

Are you sure it is not a motor?

This pump is for right hand rotation. You would have to know before using it. Some pumps can be converted to run in reverse.

Surplus Center - 1.30 cu in CESSNA 25500RSC HYD PUMP

This is what the numbers on the Cessna pump mean.

Attachments

• cessnamodelno.gif
    cessnamodelno.gif
    62.1 KB · Views: 3,119
Last edited:
   / cessna pump
No it doesn't look like that one JJ here are all the details I could find on it
US patent number2809592
alcoa x
made in the usa
cessna
15147-173c
6 27 gs+
all these numbers are on one casting
on top of that casting is the in and out ports
middle casting has no numbers
shaft side casting has numbers k20644ij and a directional arrow
with numbers15147-290c
also two small symbols and x1

it is painted yellow which made me think of caterpiller
and in the inlet and outlet casting is writing i can not read probably cast when it was made
so I dont know if I have a pump or a motor found this link but he didn' get thepump info Allis Chalmers Discussion Board - Re: Front mounted hydraulic pump on Allis Chalmers

/ cessna pump #4  
Allison-Chalmers and later Deutz-Allis used Cessna gear pumps on combines throughout the time I worked for them 1967 - 1989 but they were always left untainted or painted black. When I moved to Cat I fell back on a Cessna pump for a machine when the original one we planned for the design wouldn't handle the job and the Eaton rep came through for me with the old Cessna design I had been so familiar with through the years. Eaton had taken over Cessna's hydraulic division by then. At Cat they were all supplied to us in Cat yellow; however, the pump we used was similar to the one in JJ's post. The ones like JJ posted - we usually ran them on our combines belt driven, an extremely durable pump. At Cat we ran with a tapered shaft that fit a gear to run from the front engine gear train on a 3116 engine. Unfortunately I now don't have access to the Cessna numbers of any of those pumps.

/ cessna pump
hey guys about to try again to load pics the help I was hoping for did not arrive

Attachments

• 100_1195.jpg
    100_1195.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 1,165
  • 100_1196.jpg
    100_1196.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 2,590
  • 100_1206.jpg
    100_1206.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 995
   / cessna pump
well got the pics up
And today got the ram out and tried jj's suggestion compressed air and the ram slides out and back nicely
It's projection of only 12 inches is a bit shorter than I thought it would be but as most of my wood is cut between 12 and 14 inches long a gap at the wedge end of a couple of inches shouldn't cause problems

After it retracts if somethings stuck I can push it through with another logEven with a turned wooden bung with compressed air not sealed I could not stop the ram pushing me back when I put it up against the wall and added air so should go ok with oil

/ cessna pump #8  
JJ excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a hydraulic pump and hydraulic motor cheers

Most hydraulic pumps cannot be used as hydraulic motors because they cannot be backdriven.

The input port on a pump is usually larger than the output port.

A motor will have equal pressure rating on the input and the output port.

A motor can be reversed.

Excerpt:

First Hydraulic Motor should be able to now, reverse, and therefore requires that its internal structure symmetry; hydraulic motor speed range required is large enough, particularly the minimum steady speed it has certain requirements. Therefore, it is usually with rolling bearings or hydrostatic bearings; second hydraulic motor oil due to the input pressure to work under conditions, which do not have the self-absorption capacity, but requires some initial tightness, can provide the necessary starting torque. Because of these differences, making the hydraulic motor and hydraulic pump is quite similar in structure, but not reversible work.

/ cessna pump
Many thanks JJ your description lets me know what I have is a pump,next trip up to my late mates place I will look in the box that the pump came out of and see if there is a pulley in there that matches the 11 spline drive cheers and thanks

/ cessna pump #10  
I have a similar pump, and the pump piggybacks to another VSP pump with matching splines.