Snow Attachments chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ...

/ chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ...
Do you guys think this is basically a DIY fixer or is it something I should bring to a dealer? I really think I can tackle this on my own. I'm handy enough for this project I would think. Why can't I find & order parts directly from Rad-Tech?

I bent pretty bad the upper manual chute rotation handle & it's about to break into two from continually trying to straighten it out. I guess I have to go only to a dealer for parts? That s_cks in my opinion. I can order parts for all my other implements online execpt for my Blizzard B64 it seems.

/ chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ... #12  
The blunt end of the spring clip always points in the direction of rotation.

Leonz has lots of good tips. You should have no problems. Take a picture first if you think the new chain install is difficult to route. Pictures are always good for future reference.

/ chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ... #13  
Do you guys think this is basically a DIY fixer or is it something I should bring to a dealer? I really think I can tackle this on my own. I'm handy enough for this project I would think. Why can't I find & order parts directly from Rad-Tech?

I bent pretty bad the upper manual chute rotation handle & it's about to break into two from continually trying to straighten it out. I guess I have to go only to a dealer for parts? That s_cks in my opinion. I can order parts for all my other implements online execpt for my Blizzard B64 it seems.

==================================================

Hold up there:

No worries, fortunately these brats are dumb enough to fix on your back in 2 feet of snow in the dark with a flash light been there done that with chain drives using much larger chain.

About your handle,

just go to a welding shop with it and buy a piece of thick walled tubular steel to slide over the handle after it is split and slide it over on part of it before you weld the ends back together and then weld the tube over the broken areaon the tube ends.

Take your time and if possible buy two boxes of 60 chain that is cotter keyed- I will explain why;

IF and only if the pins were assembled in line with the pin holes in line that will make your job so much easier especially when its dark and cold.

Be sure to buy a separate bag of cotter keys that are the same size as the cotter keys used on the roller chain AND-

buy cotter keys that are 4-6 times as long as the keys used in the chain-

the reason why is because the cotter pins are longer and will pass through the paired holes in one pass IF they are in line and then you can simply roll the pin ends back with ease with two pairs of needle nose pliers for the long cotter keys if the roller chain has straight pin holes that is a blessing.

If the pins are not aligned no worries as you can simply fold the key halves back and your done and you have more pin to work with.

Be sure to buy a small bottle of BLUE loc-tite for the bolts used to secure the chain guards.

leon

Last edited:
   / chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ...
Thanks everyone for all the important info. You made this fixer a **** of alot easier with all your great advice. Happy Holidays to all.:thumbsup:

/ chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ... #15  
Is the instruction "Be sure the side link is not stamped 60H" an error? Doesn't the "H" stand for heavy duty and isn't this the best for this purpose?

Yes,
The H chain is best for any purpose but if they "The builders" used 60 chain sixty size sprockets only- the 60 sprockets and 60H roller chain will not mesh properly if he buys the 60H by mistake and he will be equally $%^&*().

Thats why I told him to take the entire chain with him as the chain will be streched and HE has to have the number of pitches counted to splice the right length together.

Last edited:
   / chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ... #16  
the sprockets are normally stamped with the size designation. other wise you would have no idea unless you have a spare new roller link to check them.

Of course they paint them when they are installed and make it more difficult.......

/ chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ... #17  
Look for a master link, it will have a clip over the 2 pins in the link. Pull it off, slide it out the opposite side.

chain5.gif

If you use this kind of of master link make sure to put the spring clip so the open end doesn't face forward. In other words the red arrow pointing to it in this diagram would be pointing the opposite direction the chain would rotate. If you don't it's possible that the clip could get caught on something and unhook.