Chain Hooks

/ Chain Hooks #11  
Thanks all for the advice!! I have a length of logging chain with hooks on either end that I use for pulling trees out of the woods with my drawbar. The links are very heavy 1/2 inch I would guess. No way my 48 horse machine would ever break it.
I was going to buy 20 ft. for use with the bucket, sound right?
Mark

I have a couple of 10' for bucket use. Of course I have chains from 3' to 30' to choose from as needed.

/ Chain Hooks #12  
I welded grade 70 3/8" chain hooks (grab style) on the top of my bucket, in line with the loader arms. I bought a grade 70 20 foot logging chain from Farm & Fleet. Total cost $60.

I can lift or load what ever I want and feel safe. The bonus is the work out you get from handling this chain! She's got some heft.

/ Chain Hooks #14  
Weld on Forged Grab Chain Hooks 3 8" Grade 43 Truck Trailer Hitch 2 PC | eBay

This is all that I used on my bucket. I didn't worry about grade the loader will not pickup as much weight as the hooks are rated for, and I welded them on myself so the weld might not be as strong as the hook I am not a professional welder. I have three welded on so if it gets where it is real heavy I can use all three if I want. There are many, many different listings for weld on hooks on ebay, even for grade 70 and or made in the USA. By getting them on ebay I didn't have to look around and try to find them waste gas and time they just showed up at my door, and with free shipping which is all I will buy on ebay the pricing isn't bad.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_20710.jpg

These are the chains I use they work great and are not too expensive. I know no one likes HF but that's all I can afford most of the time.

5/16" x 20 Ft. Trucker's Chain

They also have a grade 70 5-16 but I always get the 3/8, because well just because that is what we always had on the farm when Dad was alive.

/ Chain Hooks #15  
When welding hooks to buckets, I always stay in line with or in between the loader arms. Putting a hook at the end of a bucket and then lifting an object has a much better chance of tweaking your loader arms.

/ Chain Hooks #16  
A second endorsement for Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks in Post #13.

I have Ken's 5/16" hooks which are kind of a universal size as they grab 3/8" - 5/16" - 1/4" chain securely.

Easy to install and seemingly indestructible.

Installed mine in-line with the loader arms.

I use Grade 70 X 5/16" cut in 12' and 8' lengths. Use the 8' length most of the time.

I bought my 20' chain at Home Depot in the "Towing" subsection of hardware. Pretty cheap there.

I would use Grade 70 X 1/4" but every time I find Grade 70 X 1/4" the price is MUCH HIGHER than 5/16" at Home Depot.

Attachments

• DSC00062.jpg
    DSC00062.jpg
    1,022.9 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
   / Chain Hooks #17  
A second endorsement for Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks in Post #13.

I have Ken's 5/16" hooks which are kind of a universal size as they grab 3/8" - 15/16" - 1/4" chain securely.

Easy to install and seemingly indestructible.
A third for kens. No welding and I think the tractor will break first.

/ Chain Hooks #19  
Newbie question, where does the other end of the chain attach? Seems like a great/inexpensive way to move objects that don't fit in the bucket. Much cheaper than a grapple.
Mark

/ Chain Hooks #20  
One end of the chain goes around the object, then is cinched up via slip hook on the bitter end.

The other end latches through the grab hook.