$!#& Chain Hooks

/ $!#& Chain Hooks #11  
Quick links work great.
61J6f6hWKoL._SX425_.jpg

/ $!#& Chain Hooks #12  
For situations like this (where it needs to stay together until there is tension) I always use a few wraps of electrical tape. It is about 50 cents a roll at harbor freight...
elec tape.JPG

/ $!#& Chain Hooks #13  
All my experiences with latching hooks have been the latch assembly gets bent up and become worthless and latch assembly has to be removed or constantly repaired... Your experiences may be different...

Dale

That's been my experience with bent sheet metal slip hook latches. Grab hook latches are much sturdier. Here's one style.

grabhooklatch.jpg

Grab hook latch

Bruce

Last edited:
   / $!#& Chain Hooks #14  
Not that you would want to do it every few minutes, but that little reverse curve at the grab hook tip is to hold a safety wire, if needed.

grabhookwire.jpg

Bruce

Last edited:
   / $!#& Chain Hooks #15  
The safety police are going to loose their minds...

Good idea and I would do it...

The 'safety police' will not lose their minds... they will applaud it!

It's called Mousing (there is even specific mousing wire available). A standard practice on hooks and shackles to securing the load into the device.

Used it in the Navy, especially during jackstay, kingpost, helicopter and RAS transfers.

/ $!#& Chain Hooks #17  
The 'safety police' will not lose their minds... they will applaud it!

It's called Mousing (there is even specific mousing wire available). A standard practice on hooks and shackles to securing the load into the device.

Used it in the Navy, especially during jackstay, kingpost, helicopter and RAS transfers.

That's the word (mousing) I couldn't remember, in my post just above yours. :)

Bruce

/ $!#& Chain Hooks
Hmmm.... Found these examples of mousing....

A shackel....

mousing_1.PNG

A hook....

mousing.jpg

Is this hook legitimate for mousing or is it missing latch bar?

1048865X1.png

Dale

/ $!#& Chain Hooks #20  
After getting off tractor at least 3 time per lift I go tired of hooks that won't stay hooked....

Small hole drilled, a little "bailing wire".... Sometimes its the simple things....

View attachment 565727

Dale

Dale, hard to tell just from a photo, but to me that looks like a 3/8" grab hook on a 5/16" chain. :scratchchin: Is that a possibility?