chain lube

/ chain lube #11  
I originally started using the wire rope and chain spray by CRC, and it worked well, however my original chain that came with my Kubota snow blower failed when the blower picked up a large rock that was in the driveway. No idea how the rock wound up there, but it did a lot of damage to the blower and chain. A new chain from Kubota was about $70 since it is a rubber O ring sealed chain. I decided to purchase a 10' length of chain at Tractor Supply for $40, and cut it up into proper length. I probably got around 8 or 9 lengths out of the 10' of inexpensive chain. That is when I switched over to chain bar oil, and I find that the chain doesn't last as long, so I change it every other year. It is an easy job, and the chain bar oil does keep it properly lubricated. I attribute the chains wear as a result of inferior materials, but it hasn't effected the way that the blower works, nor has it caused any noticeable wear of the sprockets. I believe that almost any lubrication is better than none, and chain bar oil is the least expensive and its tackiness keeps it on the chain. My blower has a 1" hole directly above the chain, so lubing it after every storm is easy. I keep the bar oil in a pump oil can, and put it near heat a couple of hours before needing it, so it will flow more easily. I also keep my chain properly adjusted, with just a little slack in it.