Forks Chain On Pallet Forks Came Today.

/ Chain On Pallet Forks Came Today.
I agree to a point because I know my initial response two weeks ago. :thumbsup:

With at being said I still knew $135 for the forks and shipping indicated they were not $1000 set of forks. :D

I have a 1983 60 HP JD 310B backhoe (full size of that era) and the forks will hold up with loads that cause bypassing on lifting and curling at max RPM without bending or breaking any welds from my personal use of them last week moving building materials for Juan's crew who builds the CMB billdings like Lowes/Home Depot sell to be site built.

As another noted the only really downside I found was the concept of putting forks on a bucket because you can not the forks as you get under a load.

I never plan to be without a set of these $135 forks unless someone gives me a better solution. I know it will take REAL abuse to break these forks because I did and they did not. :thumbsup:

/ Chain On Pallet Forks Came Today. #12  
I agree Del. Devil - they are not true pallet forks. The pipe isn't ordinary run of the mill water pipe though. I think you'll find that it's drill stem, which is heavy wall. They're way more strong than my L3400 FEL can use.

The welding splatter didn't bother me either, since I chopped them apart and rebuilt them with heavy wall box tubing for backstops. Yeah, I know - whey didn't I simply make my own? Any good welder (which I'm not) could have done just that.

But, if you do decide that you simply don't want them around, send me a note. I'll pay the freight to take 'em. They'll be plenty for my son's B2410.

/ Chain On Pallet Forks Came Today.
   / Chain On Pallet Forks Came Today. #14  
Hi guys, me again. I'm still disappointed with the dealers advertising. I bought these forks for only 2 purposes, one was to lift the mower deck to clean it after use, and to lift it onto it's rack for winter storage.With these forks (pipes) I have to wrestle the deck up on a 4X4 then slip the forks under. Not easy for an older fellow with R.A. The deck weighs about 250#.
The second use was to move and lift firewood racks up on to the landing at the top of my ramp. My racks hold a sixth of a cord apiece, but the bottoms were only 2 inches off the ground. I'll have to modify all of the racks to accept these forks. I'm retired now, but for years I drove a fork truck for a major food manufacturer. I at least thought these things would be flat on top. Now I'm retired (drive a school bus) so have plenty of time. I contacted my states (Delaware) Attorney Generals office, and have an appointment with them. Something about truth in advertising? If only the vendor had discribed his wares accurately. There was one reason I went with these over the cheaper pair, he expressly advertised Quality made in America. People like this is why our auto industry is going down the tubes, and Japan is going ahead.

/ Chain On Pallet Forks Came Today. #15  
I bought my chain-on forks many years ago from my NH dealer for $250. They are plenty strong and I have just three complaints about them. The first complaint is probably not the fault of my forks, but rather the binders.

1. The over-center binders are either too tight or too loose. If I get one tight and then put the other one on, the first one loosens because the bucket lip will flex up a fraction of an inch. I need rachet binders; not the fault of the forks.

2. The forks need a wide piece where they attach to the bucket lip so they do not move side-to-side. Even when tight, if the tips get a side load, they move. An adjustable "stay" between the forks right in front of the bucket lip would be ideal, but = more cost.

3. That darn bucket is smack dab in your needed field of view. It also extends the tips out where the rotational radius is multiplied to the point that the tips move several inches for a tiny movement of the bucket curl. So you are working in the blind and fine control is almost impossible. I recently unloaded several pallets off a truck and could bend down and see below the bucket as I forked the pallets. But even at that, I didn't like the lack of fine control or my view from the tractor seat.

All chain-on or clamp on forks are better than nothing, but I think I've become frustrated enough with these to just pop for a $700 set of quick-attach pallet forks and be done with it.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• ChainFork2.JPG
    ChainFork2.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 172
   / Chain On Pallet Forks Came Today. #16  
D-D, I surely understand your disappointment. It's clear that the forks DO NOT serve your needs at all. Although they do serve my needs okay, I'm thinking that QA forks like jinman is talking about is exactly what you need.

I would have hoped that the seller would have understood that as well, and given you a full refund including return freight. If he isn't interested in making you happy, I support your actions completely. After all, it is your hard earned money, and he did not fully describe the forks.

jinman, I have exactly the same problem that you except I don't have bucket flex. And that's because I added a 3/8" flat bar all the way across mine when I added hooks. Nothing looks worse than a warped up bucket.
I love the little ratchet binders though. They're light enough to handle with one hand, and strong enough to do the job. But, at $25/each, they're no bargain for sure.

I'd love to have a set of 48" flat forks with a QA, but these do fine for what I use them for, and at a decen't price. And, I do have available some drill stem pipe and 2 x 4 heavy wall steel tubing. If I need another set, I can make them for next to nothing.

The seller needs to make it right with you D-D.