Chain saw blade sharpening ?

/ Chain saw blade sharpening ? #61  
Hey Richard,

I used to pay money to have my blades sharpened like you and had some bad experiences but also found a good shop but they charge 7.50 for a sharpening. I have recently started doing my own sharpening and found out after several hours of reading and experimenting that I can sharpen as good as the shop. I like to use my own round files and find I can sharpen without losing as much metal plus it gets me out of the house into the shop. I do have a "Chinese" chain sharpener and I use it when my chain finds a piece of barbed war or rock and nicks the &*&^(*^& out of the chain. I agree with what Bird had to say with different chains, sizes and angles. It takes a bit of reading and messing around but now I save money every day I chain saw! We heat our home with wood so I put plenty of time on the Stihl saws. I'll sharpen a couple chains a day when I'm working. Saves enough money to buy high quality bar oil etc. Lots of debate on what sharpener to buy etc...I think a good tool in the hand of an educated operator and attention to detail will stead you just fine whatever you decide to do.

/ Chain saw blade sharpening ? #62  
I bought a Hf Chain sharpener and I love,sharpens chains like new.When sharpening just kiss tooth with grinding wheel tht is all that is needed.

/ Chain saw blade sharpening ? #63  
Asked one of the old loggers in or area how he kept his saw sharp. Answer 3 strokes of the file every 30 minutes and you never have a dull chain. I have followed his advise and he right has long has i keep it out of anything.

/ Chain saw blade sharpening ? #64  
Asked one of the old loggers in or area how he kept his saw sharp. Answer 3 strokes of the file every 30 minutes and you never have a dull chain. I have followed his advise and he right has long has i keep it out of anything.

:thumbsup:

,,,,and for the love of all that is holy, it's "teeth" on a "chain". You can saw sharpen the teeth, or even sharpen the chain, but you can't sharpen the blades. They don't exist. Off soapbox now.

/ Chain saw blade sharpening ? #65  
I have 8 chainsaws and not one of them has a "blade"! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ Chain saw blade sharpening ? #66  
I agree with 4020deereboy, I hand file and give each cutter tooth 3 or 4 strokes each after every tank of fuel. The only time I use my wall mounted grinder is if I hit a rock, wire or something that really messes up the chain. A sharp chain certainly makes firewood cutting easier and extends saw life.

4Farms

/ Chain saw blade sharpening ? #68  
Wow slightly off subject but I can't get over how far back this thread dates and some of the names of folks that don't post here anymore!

/ Chain saw blade sharpening ? #70  
Get the right size file for your chain and drill a small hole in a golf ball - one that the sharp end of the file will stick into. Tap the the ball onto the end of the file and you got an instant handle that will work perfectly. Don't drill the hole too big. Clamp the bar tightly in a bench vise (make sure the vice doesn't keep the chain from rolling) Using the kickback for a brake file each tooth and then take the brake off and advance the chain to file the next section of chain. Make sure the chain is fairly tight on the bar and file each tooth using a motion that pushes and turns at the same time. DON'T use a sawing - back and forth motion- doesn't work very good that way. Try to maintain the angle that is already there and get in the habit of doing this often so that the chain doesn't get too mangled up. When your done with that side take the saw out of the vice and do the other side. After some practice you'll be surprise how quick it is to touch up a chain. Remember too that the guys that use a machine are taking off more steel than you would using a file. Filing the chains gives more use since your not grinding off more than you need to.