Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little.
Well, I went with the Husky 455e w/ 18" bar. It cost me $415. I also picked up a slightly more aggressive chain for $10. I probably coould have saved $50 by ordering online, but I decided the servicing dealer was the way to go for me. The dealer was a nice guy and stressed to me that should I ever have the slightest bit of trouble with it to bring it in and he would take care of me.

I think I may pick up a 20" bar and chain just to have. The saw starts really easy. I have some small stuff I'm going to cut this evening just to try it out. It may be a week or two before it dries out enough to where I can get some bigger stuff pulled out. Thanks for the help. I think it will suit my needs just perfectly.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little.
I cut with it for a 30 minutes...dang she's a heavy bugger. It gives me an excuse to take my time and enjoy myself and an adult beverage or two. Cuts great and I can't wait to try a little more aggressive chain. I 'm happy with it.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #23  
I am sure you will enjoy the saw a whole bunch. having a service guy right there to help you if you have problems is also a good benefit. Watch those adult beverages and suggest you enjoy after you work up a sweat and have put the saw away.

wayne

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #24  
OK, now some PPE, especially chaps if we are going to enjoy a couple of adult beverages in between cutting sessions. Not trying to preach but it can hurt you if you let it. A more aggressive chain means cuts faster and also more chance.

I'd also recommend a half dozen chains at that price and learn to sharpen them.
Great idea to stay next to that dealer.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #25  
This is rather confusing thread, is there more than one Husky 455 Rancher? At any rate, I just bought one at TSC for $379.00 marked down from 513.00 or so the tag said. Now the question (based on this thread) what do I really have. It's unopened so I assume I can return it if I have just purchased some kind of crap. I only use it around the farm to cut fence post and clean up trees and such. Please advise.

Thanks!

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #26  
I may be wrong, but I think there is only one 455. The TSC price ($513) is probably the m.s.r.p. or whatever TSC felt like putting on there so you felt like you got a good deal. My thoughts, even if you pay a little more, it's always better to buy from the local shop. If a saw bought at TSC breaks, what do you do? I bought a log splitter locally. Could have got it at TSC for about $150 or so less. The pump went after a year. I brought it back to the local shop. He offered me a replacement splitter until mine got fixed. I took it in on a Thursday, he repaired it and called me Saturday morning. I couldn't ask for any better service.

I would like a more aggressive chain for my saw. Guy at TSC: Uhhhhh, I don't know man..... not my department and I go on lunch in 2 minutes dude...... uh-hut-hut-hut.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #27  
Wayne County Hose said:
My thoughts, even if you pay a little more, it's always better to buy from the local shop. If a saw bought at TSC breaks, what do you do? I bought a log splitter locally. Could have got it at TSC for about $150 or so less. The pump went after a year. I brought it back to the local shop. He offered me a replacement splitter until mine got fixed. I took it in on a Thursday, he repaired it and called me Saturday morning. I couldn't ask for any better service.

I would like a more aggressive chain for my saw. Guy at TSC: Uhhhhh, I don't know man..... not my department and I go on lunch in 2 minutes dude...... uh-hut-hut-hut.

Afternoon Wayne County Hose,
Well stated with alot of wisdom !!! How many times have I been in the same situation, whether TSC, HD, Lowes their all basically the same ! :confused: ;) :)

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #28  
I used two Poulan chainsaws for years, and was perfectly happy with them. Then I went and bought a Stihl 029. I ended up giving my dad one of the Poulans, and the other hasn't left my barn since. The Stihl is just an all around better saw. As far as Husqvarna, I can't say much about their saws, but was picking up a new lawn tractor for my MIL the other day, and had a salesman at Lowes warned me that the Husqvarna lawn tractors went to the toilet in the last couple years. He strongly advised me against getting one. I don't know if their chainsaws are now poor quality or not, but I would do some heavy research before investing in one.
Pat

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #29  
scott_vt said:
Afternoon Wayne County Hose,
Well stated with alot of wisdom !!! How many times have I been in the same situation, whether TSC, HD, Lowes their all basically the same ! :confused: ;) :)

Afternoon scott_vt,
This is one thing I always liked about you, you always greet people.

MDM, I think any of those saws would have been a good choice. You get used to the weight. I'm 5' 7" and 155lbs and I handle my Husky 460 all day no problem. Anyhow, a logger told me why they put the handles on saws. They put them on everything else so you can push the saw thru the wood, the handle is on a Husky to hold it from hitting the ground 'cause they cut so fast.

/ Chain Saw. Narrowed it down a little. #30  
Shantycoke said:
Then I went and bought a Stihl 029. I ended up giving my dad one of the Poulans, and the other hasn't left my barn since. The Stihl is just an all around better saw.
Pat

Afternoon Pat,
I own a Stihl 025 and 029, they are awesome saws and have cut loads of cordwood with them ! My buddy has a Husky and swears by it, its all in the hands of the beholder I guess ! ;) :)