Chain-saws

/ Chain-saws #51  
I went with all stihl because of the quality and the dealer. I have owned 2 poulans the pro line, Stihl has a better dealer network around here, My second choice would have been a husky. The one saw I didn't see listed was a 260 stihl, this is my all around saw with a 16'' bar. I cut about 10 to 12 truckloads of wood a year, plus land maintenance. The 361 is my big saw with a 20'' bar, it does get to be a bit heavy after awhile for limbing. And my lite saw is an 021 about 15 years old and has been beaten to death and still runs great.

/ Chain-saws #52  
Well for a heads up, I am a Stihl dealer, so you could say I'm biased. I like the fact that Stihl doesn't compete with the dealers by putting their stuff in the box stores, but that is a business decision for me, not an answer as to what to buy.

I've done this debate before, so I'm ready to duck when the stones fly!

If you are buying a pro saw from a supporting dealer, then what feels good in your hand and your relationship with your dealer should tell you what to buy. Be it Stihl, Husky, Jonsored, etc, if it is a PRO saw, it should work well if cared for and do the job well.

I've started this debate over on the lawn and garden board, but if you price the MS290 at a dealer, and price the Rancher at Lowes or TSC, the Stihl is cheaper at a dealer that knows how to fix it, help you decide if it is even what you want, and stocks parts for it.

Another big plus is that if it is a Stihl and it has an engine, Stihl builds it. They are not owned by a bigger company that owns a bunch of other saw companies.

So in the debate of the 455 vs 290, the 290 is a two piston design vs a single ring so it will last longer and transfer heat out of the motor better, the 290 has more HP, the 290 has more user friendly oil and fuel caps and a single control lever to operate the choke, run, high idle, and stop positions. In my area the 290 comes with a .325 chain, while the 455 comes with a 3/8" chain no matter where you buy it. This is because Stihl operates in divisions and they know the kind of wood in my area, so they set the saw up for this area.

Both will work and both will cut wood, but why in the world anyone will walk into Lowes or TSC and buy one from a place that won't even see if it runs first, for more than I sell what is in specs, a better saw, is beyond me!

Ken

/ Chain-saws #53  
montanaman said:
Both will work and both will cut wood, but why in the world anyone will walk into Lowes or TSC and buy one from a place that won't even see if it runs first

Ken

I agree, that's why I went to my local power equipment guy. Not only did he make sure it ran, he filled the oil and fuel. Got an Echo, not Stihl, point is to buy from a knowlegable place that will service it.

/ Chain-saws #54  
In principle I agree with montanaman's argument. Also many small dealers are not interested in working on big-box-bought power equipment. For similar $$ I would ALWAYS buy from a good local knowledgeable parts-stocking full service dealer. It really is worth it in the long run.

I also agree that if you are about to spend anywhere near what the entry level pro saws cost - do step up to one. Husky or Stihl - you can't go wrong.

If you need a small saw to cut a few blown-down branches a few times a year then in all actuality it may not matter the slightest bit what you buy or where you buy it. But if you cut a fair amount of firewood, etc, and your budget is close to what a good full service dealer can sell you a saw for - then do it.

~paul

/ Chain-saws #55  
I have owned (still have two) 3 Stihl saws an 015L, an 024AV, and a 041AV. Hands down the best saws possible. The crankshaft broke on the 024AV and it was my all around saw, big enough to log and small enough to limb with. I used that saw for over 20 years and it never failed to start the entire time I owned it. The 041 was bought used in 1979 and has been bullet proof since and still is, just too much saw for me as I get older. I priced a MS200T and it was around $600 and I priced a MS260 and I believe it was $500. Both great saws but more than I was wanting to spend. I keep my saws running myself and never have had any of them worked on. The 015L is just totally worn out, I bought it new in 1980.

/ Chain-saws #56  
billbill1 said:
I have owned (still have two) 3 Stihl saws an 015L, an 024AV, and a 041AV. Hands down the best saws possible. The crankshaft broke on the 024AV and it was my all around saw, big enough to log and small enough to limb with. I used that saw for over 20 years and it never failed to start the entire time I owned it. The 041 was bought used in 1979 and has been bullet proof since and still is, just too much saw for me as I get older. I priced a MS200T and it was around $600 and I priced a MS260 and I believe it was $500. Both great saws but more than I was wanting to spend. I keep my saws running myself and never have had any of them worked on. The 015L is just totally worn out, I bought it new in 1980.

Over the years I have had many saws and used more. Let's see...

McCullogh something or other back in the 50s. The old, heavy, float valve where you rotated the bar to cut horizontally.

Mall - something or other w/4' bar. I was only the outboard man on that. We trashed that saw by having a 36" Tamarack go wild while we were making the back cut. I think I was about 2 miles away by the time it hit the ground ;).

Then came military service and on retireing I stepped up to a

Homelite something with 24" bar - Dad's old very high mileage. Good saw but couldnt' keep the screws tight.

First new saw as a Homelite 360 - last of the pro homey's good saw until it ate the electrode off the spark plug.

Next up Poulan 4000 - hated that saw. Couldn't keep the carb adjusted. work 30 minutes and reset the mixture. Also had to put in a new piston/rings way before it should have been needed.

Stihl 041 AV as second saw to the Poulan - great saw but I also am up there in years, it was getting heavy, it didn't keep up with the new saws speed wise (but was still a very good firewood saw) - then came the "old shaky" syndrome. Parts breakign (air filter stud twice and them are not available except used anymore), screws vibrating loose, then the rear handle broke. I sold it.

Husky 625 - ex logger saw from Canada. One great saw! Many years and many cord but it had seen it's day - traded for a:

Stihl MS 310 a few years ago. Not a pro saw but a very good homeowner - If I had to do it again I would buy a pro model of about the same size.

Also picked up a Husky 51 from a pawn shop several years ago for limb/trim work - another great saw.

So my current kit is just the 310 and 51. Buy again it will be Stihl because they are the nearest dealer and do good work. Was Husky near, I would be tempted there.

Harry K

/ Chain-saws #57  
When I lived in McCall, Idaho and worked as a forester I was around alot of logging contractors. The worst punishment you can do to a saw is put it on a landing doing final limbing and topping. One contractor had over 100 Sthil's working in the woods and he told me his monthly saw bill was around $3500 to keep them all running. He had all sizes in the woods. Most of his problems revolved around the crank seals going out, probably due to the continuous high RPM's they were running all day long. He decided to switch to Husky's and his average saw repairs for the next year averaged $350 a month, mostly for chains. I talked to this contractor a few months ago and he is only running 30 saws now and has changed to Shindiawa. He says they are very fast and trouble free.

/ Chain-saws #58  
As Montanaman said, I've posted and talked about this before on TBN, don't want to ruffle any feathers...

Husqvarna (with the metal tag that says Sweden) is made by Husqvarna, just like it says.

Husqvarna products sold in "Dept. Stores" (usually the ones at Lowes and Home Depot) don't have the little metal tag rivited to it. In this case, it's a Poulan...yep, Poulan...with a Husqvarna tag on it.

:eek: BUYERS BEWARE:eek: .

The one's still made in Sweden are still the one's competing with Stihl and Echo, not the one's made by Poulan.

Just because it's orange and has a Husky label, doesn't mean it's a REAL husky unless it has the metal tag on it stating it's made in Sweden.

I can't re-iterate enough...LOOK FOR THE METAL TAG WITH MADE IN SWEDEN!

I hate the fact they "cheapened" their name, but I guess business is business.

Podunk

/ Chain-saws #59  
I have been using a Stihl 029 for many years and I can't even imagine how much wood it has cut without a problem, other than normal maintaince. We have a good local dealer.

/ Chain-saws #60  
My first chainsaw was a West Bend back in the 1950s. We used it to clear our lot and then it sat around without use for a couple years till I asked my Father if he thought he would ever use it again. I was delighted when he said no without asking me why I had asked that question. My buddy and I then proceeded to make the fastest go cart in town with that motor and a few alterations.
I can still remember the whipping I got when he went to use the chainsaw.:eek: