Chain saws.

/ Chain saws. #11  
Oops! I just bought a rancher 455 as the tree was already down I had to do something quick. Just finished cutting it up and piling it for splitting.
I do plan on rebuilding the 55 later this winter. I really appreciate all the help especially that web site.
It dies sound like fun, I've rebuilt hundreds of motorcycle carbs. But never a chain saw. It also sounds like everyone has more than one saw anyway. Guess if the rebuild works I'll do the fleamarket thing too. Thanks again. Steve
Normally you try to get saws of different size, maybe you could trade in one for a nice small limbing saw? I have a husky 372 as my "main" saw but for cutting cedar posts, its overkill, so I have a little husky 141 that doesn't stretch my arms as much.

/ Chain saws. #12  
Now you have 2 good saws! I am a die hard Husky person... but Stihl also has a good reputation (just like chevy vs. ford). The most important thing is: 1. Use a quality 2 cycle oil and mix only with 93 octane gas. 2. If saw is going to be sitting for more than a couple days, drain the gas and run it dry. 3. Keep your chains sharp! A sharp chain is safer, and will make your saw run and last longer.

/ Chain saws. #13  
Congrats on the new saw and definitely rebuild that old 55. I have spent tons of time rebuilding carbs on chainsaws and other small engines. It gets easier each time. Just be careful if you remove the welch plug. Make sure you know where to punch through the old one to remove it so you don't ruin any ports underneath it. I have a digital camera handy when I work on engines and take lots of before and during pics. I refer back to them if necessary when re-assembling. I was even able to help someone out with pics of the carb linkage on my old Troy-Bilt Horse tiller because he had forgotten how they go on his.

Defintely pay attention to the guys on the Arboristsite forums. Those guys rock and helped me fix my old saw and gave me great advice when I bought my new Husky 346xp. I like the Dolmars too and you can't go wrong with Stihl. As someone else pointed out the cheaper Huskies at Home Depot, Sears, etc are just orange Poulanas which is not a good thing, steer clear of those.

Marine Stabil and Star Tron are good to counter-act ethanol phase separation which leads to condensation which causes rust/corrosion in the carb/fuel system.

/ Chain saws. #14  
My first chain saw was a Rancher and for the first couple of years, I was very pleased with it. It didn't start very well, but once going, it got the job done. I think it was three years old when it wouldn't start again at all. I took it to the shop and they said that it didn't have any compression and the engine needed to be rebuilt. It went from running, to total junk just sitting on my shelf.

I went through a variety of cheepy saws that ended up costing me more money then they where worth. That's when I decided to spend the money and buy a Stihl Farm Boss. This was my first quality chainsaw and it's a very good saw. I've had it for at least five years, maybe six. It always fires up and it runs strong. I bought a smaller one for trimming limbs that is also a great little saw.

When I went to buy a pole saw, I made the same mistake of buying cheap and bought a Poulon Pro. It lasted one year and that was it. I looked at Stihl, and the dealer also sells Echo. He told me that Echo was a better saw for less money. I have an Echo weed eater that is just amazing. It fires right up real easy, and has tons of power. I bought the Echo pole saw and love it. I never tried the Stihl pole saw, so I cant say which is better, but comparing the Echo motors to the Stihl motors for ease of starting, I like Echo a lot better.

Eddie

/ Chain saws. #15  
Just to show the difference in builds between the homeowner plastic crankcase stihls 290 etc and huskys 455 etc to the better built magnesium cased 55.
Long as they run and cut it is all good, but that day you need to work on those plastic saws you will wish you bought a better saw. ;)

MS290 CRANK CASE MS390 MS310 STIHL CHAINSAW SAW | eBay

New OEM HUSQVARNA 455 RANCHER CRANK CASE 537282002 | eBay

husqvarna 51 55 chainsaw crankcase crank case NICE | eBay

Then the 353 which is probably about the same cost of the 455 or at least close $420's retail and built to last with mag case too. http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/products/powerful-robust-saws/353-e-tech/

/ Chain saws.
Amazing info guys thanks I was in a bind when I bought the rancher 455 Sunday. The tree was down and my old saw the 55 had died on me. Wish I could have taken more time to shop. But choices are somewhat limited on Sunday. It's big box store or wait.
I'm looking forward to the rebuild of the 55. And I'll be more selective on a smaller limbing saw. That rancher 55 did last 13 years without giving me any real problems. I'm sure I don't work them as hard as some of you. I only burn 2 ricks of wood a year just for ambiance.
I also own an Echo weed eater I've had it close to 20 years. It was a pro grade and worth every penny. It still starts and runs great. Appreciate the advice!!

/ Chain saws. #17  
Yep yep yep!

I have had to fix a few; had one on my Dad's old 024, where the fuel line just dissolved. Filter was just rolling around in the tank.

Check the fuel line, impulse line and the fuel filter in the tank. Squeeze them, look for either brittleness or the opposite...gooeyness. The last 034 I fixed for a buddy had a collapsed fuel line...it was all gooey/soft.

While you are in there clean it all up(I use Simple Green and a toothbrush). Check the sprocket, bar and chain.....replace as needed and learn how to "dress the bar". Like Storm said a Semi Chisel rocks....I hate safety chains.

/ Chain saws. #18  
Those 024/026/260 saws are nice size, great balance saws. Still using the 024 my Dad got in '83. It is a great saw!

I have some newer and older Husky's too, but my go to is that 024. I have an 024 Super basket case I have to get working on...

The first saw I ever bought was a Stihl 024Super in 1983 and I still use that saw today. Before I "saw the light" I almost sold it for parts. Then I found another website that has a dedicated saw forum and learned that I just needed some knowledge, a carb kit & a fuel line to make it run like new. I know own 7 Stihls(down from 12, and I heat with wood) and have bought and sold a few more that I rebuilt/repaired.

/ Chain saws. #19  
I have an 024 Super basket case I have to get working on...

When you get it up and running you will love it, the Super is a great saw and mine has worn an 18' bar since day one. Definitely worth re-building:thumbsup:

/ Chain saws.
Got the Rancher up and running today. You all were right it wasn't that hard. Laid it out in order and put it back in reverse. The fuel line was clogged as well as the air induction. Put the carb back to the same as it was. I'll pick up a new bar and chain tomorrow and fie it a good workout this weekend. Thanks for all the help!!