Chain sharpening woes.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #21  
I have one very much like this. It works well. I do the same # of strokes on each tooth. And take the depth gauges down with a 4" hand grinder (there are no rakers on chain saws).

This is good for quick touch-ups in the field.
1642874898471.png

I also managed to pickup a chain sharpening grinder by Harbor Freight at a yard sale for $5. It works well and resets all teeth to the same dimension. My neighbor has a much nice machine and will sharpen my chains for nothing but I don't like to abuse his friendship.

I used to drop them off at the hardware store and for $5 they came back well sharpened.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #22  
I have one very much like this. It works well. I do the same # of strokes on each tooth. And take the depth gauges down with a 4" hand grinder (there are no rakers on chain saws).

This is good for quick touch-ups in the field.
View attachment 730398
I also managed to pickup a chain sharpening grinder by Harbor Freight at a yard sale for $5. It works well and resets all teeth to the same dimension. My neighbor has a much nice machine and will sharpen my chains for nothing but I don't like to abuse his friendship.

I used to drop them off at the hardware store and for $5 they came back well sharpened.
After abusing chain with dirt contact and using Dremel and rotary stone and hand files with poor success, I finally resorted to HF grinder..... BUT found instead of trying to adjust all the gizmos other then angle and depth of grind I let wheel drop and push "head" sideways to lightly contact tooth... Last chain I had to go around at lease twice as I dulled many of the points on the teeth and it took alot or material removal to get it cutting edge again...

/ Chain sharpening woes. #23  
Stihl 2n1 filing guide is pretty good for beginners. I don't think you'll find better.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #24  
This guy does a tone of really good reviews. This one is on chain sharpeners. Worth watching.

Click Link here: LINK

Or address here:

/ Chain sharpening woes. #25  
I will stay with my Pferd guide. Not the "best" but no set up, and no power needed. For a hack like me, good enough is good enough. No need to learn how to do it like the old timers when this simple tool does a decent job.

If I but 50 cords a year I might think differently.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #26  
I've got the
This guy does a tone of really good reviews. This one is on chain sharpeners. Worth watching.

Click Link here: LINK

Or address here:
I've got that Granberg 12v model that he rated highly, but you can get it much cheaper someplace besides Amazon. I believe I paid about $80 about 5 years ago. I sharpen mine in my vice on the bench and use a portable jump box to power it.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #28  
I have the oregon field unit, for the price and portability it works really well, the pferd/stihl is a good unit too for out in the field. The rest are too complicated or cumbersome for me to use when wandering in the woods, and I don't know if they have enough of an advantage.
The amount of work PF did for this comparison is quite intense.
But wood density could impact the test as much as anything else if the sharpening is done right.

Do the grinder ones wear the chain faster?

/ Chain sharpening woes. #29  
This. 12V, think
AC99F6BD-C5A3-4CD5-807E-7ADA2D7111B9.jpeg
it cost me 60 bucks or so, has a gauge so 30 degree sharpening angle is easy. I use it to sharpen chains while clearing trail while dirt bike riding, attaches easy to the bike’s battery

/ Chain sharpening woes. #30  
Yep. They are a rebadged pferd sharpener and all I have used for years. Literally foolproof. Do rakers as you go. They do a rebadged one for husky as well.
I use to dread sharpening. The 2in1 changed my results tremendously. I won't use anything else.