Chain Storage and Front Tie-downs

/ Chain Storage and Front Tie-downs #1  

wirenut

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5035, MF250, New Holland LS190, JD Gator 6x4
I love my Mahindra 5035, but one thing I don't like about the compact frame size, is the lack of storage space. Also, as one poster noted, a lack of tie-downs for trailering or strong pulling points on the front.
My solution was to make a extra heavy duty open top "box", welded to the frame rails. This gives me a place for several chains, shackles, etc. It also gives me a place for tie-downs and/or trailer ball. Of course, it is "overkill", but wanted to cover all bases, using what I had on hand. Would liked to have added a 2" receiver, but it would not work with the FEL.

Attachments

• 101_0174.jpg
    101_0174.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 691
  • 101_0177.jpg
    101_0177.jpg
    726.9 KB · Views: 616
  • 101_0179.jpg
    101_0179.jpg
    667.9 KB · Views: 624
   / Chain Storage and Front Tie-downs #2  
I will be looking at my LS tomorrow. I have a chain box on the back, but I still have more chains.

/ Chain Storage and Front Tie-downs #3  
I don't think there is anything "overkill" when it comes to a tractor. Nice job.

What is the bottom made of and how will water drain out?

Clem

/ Chain Storage and Front Tie-downs
I don't think there is anything "overkill" when it comes to a tractor. Nice job.

What is the bottom made of and how will water drain out?

Clem

The bottom is a piece of 10" channel, sides welded to the frame rails are 1/2" plate. I drilled 4 holes in the bottom corners for drain. As it turned out, it holds a lot more chains than I expected. I had built a similar one on my old MF250 tractor.

/ Chain Storage and Front Tie-downs #5  
The bottom is a piece of 10" channel, sides welded to the frame rails are 1/2" plate. I drilled 4 holes in the bottom corners for drain. As it turned out, it holds a lot more chains than I expected. I had built a similar one on my old MF250 tractor.

It is certainly a good idea. Look for it on new tractors eventually. I would call it a "selling point."

/ Chain Storage and Front Tie-downs #6  

I have an MF 1250 so I will look to see if I can replicate what you have done here.

Thanks for sharing.

Clem

/ Chain Storage and Front Tie-downs #7  
Not really enough access on my LS to do it easy. The frame ends too short. Could maybe do it and have a small reach-in on the right side. Since my bucket reaches quite far out front when lowered, I am going to mount an 8,000 lb. Warn winch on the lower front of the brush guard. Maybe I can make a box under that when I do it.